Intel Reports Best First Quarter. Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is horrible. Even though I don't want to admit it, AMD is indeed slacking in their processing. Their main focus is budget, and while that's nice, Intel kills them in applications. Maybe if AMD focused on gaming and increased their processors 25% in that respect, then it'd be justifiable.

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]Grats to them i suppose.. all my money is still going to AMD though[/citation]
haha
u gotta admit their lga1156 socket quads are too bad perf for money, tho the x4 620 owns in price (not performance)

aspireonelover

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
[citation][nom]micky_lund[/nom]hahau gotta admit their lga1156 socket quads are too bad perf for money, tho the x4 620 owns in price (not performance)[/citation]
sir... you have no idea what you're talking about

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I guess thats good for their stocks, they'll probably go up 50 cents or 80 cents. However im sticking with my AMD stocks, which i bought at about 4 dollars a share. AMD is at 9.89 now :D

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
fair enough, words can't describe how much more awesome my new x58,920 combo is than anything else I've ever used. (some of it may be down to win7 too). wayyy better than my old nf4 ultra, Athlon64 x2 I had before. and while I wouldn't encourage any anticompetitive behaviour from intel with regards to chipsets, I must say, I think it's all down to the new intel chipset, everyday tasks and desktop work is just a breeze now, really feels like limitless power. and then there is their awesome looking low power Atom platform.

and I disagree that amd is dropping the ball. they had financial troubles, and sure, their processors haven't been as exciting, but lets not forget they have also been struggling with getting ATI properly under its wing, and with the 5 series Radeons, they really seem to be pushing ahead now on the graphics front. I am still VERY interested to see what a big high performance CPU AND GPU company can do as they begin to reach their full stride.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... they could earn more... but the lawsuits, larrabee's flop and other sins in the past haz made a big cut of the profits... and the nVidia lawsuit underway... in this economic environment i like AMD more... the s.AM2/+/3 MoBo ecosystem is upgradefriendly... but intel's is a mess now... it's like AMD's soc.A; s.754 and s.939... intel haz now s.1136; s.775 and s.1366... ok... intel haz the performance crown...

2ms

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
The more Intel shuts AMD out the more we have to pay for processors. Remember just a couple years ago when processors cost $90 and doubled in speed every 1.5 years? Even though AMD is still around we're already back to paying several times that (just like back in the pre-Athlon days).

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Keep up the good work. Hopefully that money is well spent.

[citation][nom]megamanx00[/nom]I sense an nVidia comic coming from this.[/citation]
Tom's should post these every time nVidia posts a new one on intelsinsides.com. I always find them entertaining.
feature_image18.jpg

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
[citation][nom]shadow187[/nom]Maybe if AMD focused on gaming and increased their processors 25% in that respect, then it'd be justifiable.[/citation]Last time I checked, it made little difference whether you had Intel or AMD chip in games. Moreover, AMD chips seemed to offer you the same gaming performance for considerably less money.

drowned

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Not surprised since AMD has practically rolled over and died in the enthusiast segment. The 965 has to run 6-800 mhz faster than an i5/i7 just to compete in the benchmarks; says it all.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Maybe with profits like that they can lower their prices and steal some of AMD's customers?

There is nothing like brand loyalty to keep the profits rolling in. Anyone they can convert will pay off in the long run.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]martel80[/nom]Last time I checked, it made little difference whether you had Intel or AMD chip in games. Moreover, AMD chips seemed to offer you the same gaming performance for considerably less money.[/citation]
... and AMD haz a MONSTERGPU out... the HD5xxx series... intel... well... i think AMD/ATi killed intel's larrabee...

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]shadow187[/nom]This is horrible. Even though I don't want to admit it, AMD is indeed slacking in their processing. Their main focus is budget, and while that's nice, Intel kills them in applications. Maybe if AMD focused on gaming and increased their processors 25% in that respect, then it'd be justifiable.[/citation]

The absolutely biggest problem for amd is intels chipsets. Companies like the one I work for stick 120% to intel because we can reuse the same windows images for all systems long as we use intel. Occassionally we have problems with varying audio hardware, but those problems would pale in comparison to a situation where we'd mix amd, nvidia, intel and via chipsets in an effort to keep performance per dollar prices high.

Status
Not open for further replies.