Intel Reports Best Quarter Ever in 42-year History

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krazie604

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
AMD can't compete on performance these days.. They use to with some innovative design in architecture. However Intel has been eating their lunch with the best Lithography process, innovative architectural design, best Performance/Watt and a very strong roadmap. The reason AMDs are so much lower in price is because thats all they have to be competitive.

G

I think lots of the profit for intel lies in selling the Atom processors, and their reduction in CPU power consumption.
The performance AMD processors have is by no means bad at all, but they just are not as good in conserving energy... It's sad to say, for years as a student I was an AMD and ATI fan.
Now I can say that I'm an Intel and AMD/ATI fan.
AMD is still good in graphics cards, and if you ask me, better than NVidia. Because there AMD IS good in reducing powerconsumption, while increasing performance!

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]It's prices like theirs that cause inflation...[/citation]
If you want the best, you've got to pay for the best.

el_bastardo74

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
good to see tom's has a lot of people on here, who have a pair of buttocks...easiest way to tell is because they are talking out of them. i don't feel sorry for amd, if they are not as successful. they have the budget to advertise, as they are a multi-billion dollar entity. and they have the capability to make as sophisticated processors, as intel. they chose to do neither, as they have the market in the $200 dollar and below range....fan bois get under my skin

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]halls[/nom]I feel ya. I still have a Q6600 with B3 stepping that I can't overclock, and it's starting to get long in the tooth. I want to upgrade, but they still want almost $300 for some of their higher-end 775 processors.[/citation]
You must have a bum steer? I have one of the original Q6600 that has been running 3.8Ghz from the get go, 4.2Ghz with Turbo. I never bothered to get the newer model after that.

nickak2003

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
We build and test servers all the time, huge multi-processor servers.

Intel selling more servers than AMD is pure marketing and all about ignorant fanboys. Amd has been making better server chips for years, their processors having more threads, bandwidth, and other properties that Intel doesn't even publish - Intel has only recently begun to catch up in the server market.

actionjksn

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010

What do you do, look for the most expensive place you can find to shop for processors? I bought a Q9550 for 220 bucks, and it wasn't really hard to do. I just used new egg, but there was other places for the same price. If I would have listened to other people online. I would be kicking myself in the A, if I would have bought a crappy phenom1. AMD may be more bang for your buck, but Intel's hold their age better. At least since the Core 2 series came out. Clock for clock my old Intel CPU is still competitive with AMD newest offerings.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]darkhairpaul1[/nom]The last AMD laptop burnt my penis, sorry intel for life![/citation]

You should really keep that on the down low. And I hear they have a topical cream for that sort of thing :p

guid_aaa000001

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Now intel can give even more ca$h to system builders / computer manufactures / processor review sites / and all other people who can suppress AMD....

alexmihai

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
From what cave did you crawl out killerclick :s , the only reason you have core i7's , phenom's , ati 5xxx series , gtx4xx series is competion . if amd would die , nvidia and intel could very well kill their advertisement department , and be 3x-5x times slower on getting some new tech out and at a mindblowing price . Im not an amd/ati fan , i bought what i thought was good performance /price for the budged i had , owned ati nvidia intel and amd over the years and my head simply hurts when i see ppl like you feeling like intel had raised you fed you and payed your bills

cj_online

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
[citation][nom]hundredislandsboy[/nom]I don't go for the best. I go for the best bang for the buck. Are you telling me you bought the $1,000 Intel processor?[/citation]

He just might... and guess what.. it smokes anything AMD has to offer... by a considerable margin...

Status
Not open for further replies.