News Intel Responds to ZombieLoad and CacheOut Attacks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

danger007

Honorable
May 29, 2016
Honestly it is a matter of who has the largest market share. Those who find way to attack/hack/etec will focus on the hardware/software that is the most used in the tech sector. Remember apples commericals where it talked about how they weren't affected by the kind of viruses/malware etc of Intel-Windows based machines. With the ipad and iphone we get that big hack into the cloud servers containing data from many celebrities and athletes.

I think that those attacking Intel chips could either have an axe to grind, are pro-AMD users who with every bug found could cause intel users to move to AMD helping AMD bottom line and bringing in money AMD sure could use to research faster and better cpus and gpus, maybe funding secretively from AMD or leaks about areas that are open to attack, heck we don't know for sure the motive or what their final objective is.

Remember with AMD having not seen any sort of market jump until they released the Ryzen, AMD cpus have not been of much interest to those finding or using these flaws. So those finding the exploits have a long time to have gone through almost any and every CPU with for example Hyper threating knowing they will find a much greater base than what AMD has.

It is not that the AMD chips are safe, it is that their Ryzen hasn't been out on the market for 5+ years or more, so those who use these exploits probably are trying to go after the Ryzen but with less experience and time to find these holes. So Ryzen might be you safe alternative, however there are other equipment hackers can get at where the Ryzen won't protect. However with the Ryzen becoming popular we should see a few years down the rod, flaws in the Ryzen that could be just as bad as Intel's.

I would personally file a class action lawsuit in which Intel would have to provide a CPU and maybe a steep rebate on purchase of motherboards that work with this Class Action CPU for all those going back to the first core series (before we got Sandy Bridge with its 2xxx id). I would not make the lawyers rich and I would not want those who have the knowledge to get a class action started and have their name on the paperwork as the primary plantiffs, to get such a big piece of the pie as most class actions lawsuits are. Instead they would get only a small % (less than 5%) of a special fund for those who filed the case and allow those of us who can't afford to have our own attorneys to go after Intel (remember you can refuse the proposed settlement but then you will have to hire your own lawyers to file suit, and Intel could have its attack dog lawyers make it very hard for you to win or so costly that you lose money from the lawsuit). I am tired of the tech class action lawsuits always benefiting a few and leaving the rest of us with a $5-50 rebate to purchase something at the company store (which we all know are usually the highest price for their products so any rebate could still allow, for example Intel to just price their new product high enough to absorb those rebates and still make money.

I just wish I knew how to get a class action going with these terms. Since Intel processors are not running at the speed they advertised and it shouldn't matter what generation except for CPUS that can't run Windows 7 without chugging or Windows 8, 8.1 and 10. The reason I use 7 only because it is still a popular OS despite Microsft finally being able to jetison the excess weight on the company, and remember Sky Lake the 6000 series were the last to support Win 7 and of course are vulnerable to most of the exploits. So Intel should be forced to design a cpu that meets the need of those of Core XXX to Core 10xxx. Make the cpu meet certain speeds that could be broken down via the generation of the CPU's affected. So lets say core xxx, core 2xxx, core 3xxx will get a cpu that can meet the best speed and performance in that group, then the 4xxx, 5xxx, 6xxx, 7xxx is the next group and also meet the best core i7 chips from those 4 generations, then 8xxx, 9xxx, 10xxx (and who know maybe 11xxx) as the other CPU special made. Yes this will cost the company a boat load of money but it ensure users won't have a CPU that was suppose to run at Xghz only to run 15-30% slower and that everyone gets a cpu of equal power without the bugs (and Intel would be liable to replace these special CPU's if they allow the vulnerabilties to continue on these special, so they might have to do a whole new run of lets say the Core-CA-3999 at 3ghz if a flaw was found). Finally the most important, you would be required to submit your cpu to Intel, since you are getting a replacement CPU and allows Intel to prevent abuse of the claims (I am sure turning in the CPU will only be part of it as there will be those who could find a way to defraud the program, there always are)
%

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Honestly it is a matter of who has the largest market share. Those who find way to attack/hack/etec will focus on the hardware/software that is the most used in the tech sector.
Honestly, it is not a matter of who has the largest post. You can't make up with verbosity what you lack in substance.

This argument has already been addressed, earlier in the thread. If you really cared, you could go back and read it.

Speaking of reading, you could also try proofreading your own posts. That (and not trying to include every related thought that crosses your mind) will significantly increase your chances of being taken seriously.

Anyway, I think your primary error is conflating security researchers with malicious hackers. You're right that the latter group will tend to focus on the largest, most vulnerable, or most lucrative targets. However, security researchers are mostly incentivized just to find vulnerabilities wherever they can (within reason).

Last edited:
Reactions: NightHawkRMX