Intel Retires Six Low-End Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

not necessarily. The reason why this would be big news, is some companies could still be running on legacy computers. If one of these companies needed these processors as a field replaceable unit they would need to know in advance that a new mobo and processor would have to be purchased instead.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I was hoping they would all be ATOM processors. lol.What's in that list is considered overkill compared to ATOM.[/citation]

They really were badly introduced to the market. I remember signing up for an "affordable" dedicated server to play around with that had an Atom processor a couple years back. I wanted to shoot myself with how badly it performed doing simple tasks.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]They really were badly introduced to the market. I remember signing up for an "affordable" dedicated server to play around with that had an Atom processor a couple years back. I wanted to shoot myself with how badly it performed doing simple tasks.[/citation]
Just for shts and giggles I tried to compile Gentoo on an Atom netbook, I feel your pain x 100.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Right. My friend had such an Atom server (1.6 GHz, dual core). Along with poor performance, it ate up ~50 W not doing much. The new one I've installed for him sports an i3 ~2.4 GHz, which is plenty-fast and drains ~42 W. So what was the point in Atoms exactly?

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
[citation][nom]tului[/nom]Just for shts and giggles I tried to compile Gentoo on an Atom netbook, I feel your pain x 100.[/citation]
How long did it take you to compile openoffice/libreoffice? LOL

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
[citation][nom]jdog2pt0[/nom]Heh... I'm still running my Core 2 Quad. I remember when the Core 2's start that it was top of the line.[/citation]
Same, i got my q9300 past the 420mhz FSB wall....... runs stable at ~3.2Ghz and still rips through anything i throw at it.

G

I have a core i3 370M, Now Intel! If you could convince Toshiba, whom you allowed to write custom Intel HD graphics drivers for the integrated graphics on that chip, To update the drivers! Intel you have damaged your brand severely by allowing OEM's any permissions to MOD your graphics drivers and not provide their customers with timely updates or enhancements of the Intel Integrated GPU's graphics drivers of your processors! You produced the hardware You produce the drivers, or require OEM's to keep your update time line!

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
[citation][nom]trumpeter1994[/nom]Same, i got my q9300 past the 420mhz FSB wall....... runs stable at ~3.2Ghz and still rips through anything i throw at it.[/citation]

Yea, I put a Q9300 in my PC and I run it stock, it's really fast. For regular use, it seems to run just as good as an i5, and I build a lot of i5 systems.

G

This is the most under reported fact, some OEM's want you to buy a new computer to get the latest drivers so your games or other software will work properly!

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]Wait, these are only 1st gen i-series processors anyway, so who cares about them? Hasn't everyone moved on to Sandy Bridge?[/citation]
Im still rocking a Q6600 and dont see any need to upgrade just yet..

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]Im still rocking a Q6600 and dont see any need to upgrade just yet..[/citation]
Not meaning to tell you your business but you need to overclock her until she moans...and if she's moaning yet you're not overclocking her high enough. I'm just say'n.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]i have some of these processors in my laptop and it runs fine.[/citation]
Yes, if your software demands haven't increased it would. When I task my systems I'm always wanting them to complete those tasks as closed to yesterday as my budget and technology will allow. ...so I have no love for old/budget oriented parts. It's good, however, that you're not being wasteful.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Intel and AMD should simplify their product lines. Sometimes you wonder why a type/model even exists at all. Even the tech sites don't bother to review each and every one being released.

[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]Intel and AMD should simplify their product lines. Sometimes you wonder why a type/model even exists at all. Even the tech sites don't bother to review each and every one being released.[/citation]

Ask and yee shall receive. Both have reduced offerings - but that is 'fixin' to change with Trinity and Ivy Bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS