Intel Reveals Core i3, i5, i7 CPU Naming System

Status
Not open for further replies.
So since i5 is going to use a different socket than i7, will the i3 also use yet another socket? If intel is releasing processors for 3 or 4 sockets simultaneously then motherboards are going to get confusing quick.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Unless we see a i9, I don't care.

[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]and I still don't know what they are... Intel should hire Apple's marketing team.[/citation]
So Intel will lie to you, and make various subjective comparisons that mean little?

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
I understand what core i7 is, and I am pretty sure I understand what core i5 is (will be when it comes out). What the hell is core i3 going to be? Just another name for the atom chips or the nehalem version of them?

intel must have lots of cash when coming out with 3 different CPU types. knowing CPUs like celerons were an easy way to use defective fully featured CPU's. ans now they can't do that because they all will have different socket types

themike

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Actually, only the older core i7 will use a different socket, the lynnfield based core i7 will use the same socket as core i5 and i3 (see http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3585).

It still seems a bit unclear, but my guess is the "new i7" on socket 1156 will "only" be dual channel ddr3, BUT, they will compensate with integrated graphic controller. I dont think it will be that much better than the current core i7 at launch, but once we start seeing the era of GPU computing / DirectX 11, I really think those with the old core I7 are gonna be left behind on performance. Probably even more when we get crazy stuff like larrabee and it's 32 cores helping on general computing.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]krazynutz[/nom]Sooo....Celeron = i3Pentium = i5Core2 = i7???[/citation]
Uh, no.

The lineup will now be Atom, Celeron, Pentium, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7.

I too wonder if i3 and i5 will use the same socket or not. What will be the difference between i3 and i5, and how will i3 differ from Pentium? Thanks for not clearing anything up, Intel.

hey, editing DOES work, sweet!

aspireonelover

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
my general guess would be:
i3 = dual core
i5 = quad core, 1 die with 4 cores
and i3 and i5 would have similar designs, somewhat similar like the Core 2 family. Uses dual channel memory technology, uses fsb, no qpi. (Just my guess)
i7 = quad core, qpi, triple channel memory architecture, a single die with 4 cores.

aspireonelover

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
and just to add to my previous posts (btw, tom's hardware should include the "edit button") it's useful
the i5 and i3 would have integrated memory controller as well, just like the i7

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
[citation][nom]aspireonelover[/nom]my general guess would be:i3 = dual corei5 = quad core, 1 die with 4 coresand i3 and i5 would have similar designs, somewhat similar like the Core 2 family. Uses dual channel memory technology, uses fsb, no qpi. (Just my guess)i7 = quad core, qpi, triple channel memory architecture, a single die with 4 cores.[/citation]
Frankly, I think it should work like this (with liberties taken, of course):

Core i1 = Atom
Core i3 = Celeron D
Core i5 = Pentium D/Q
Core i7 = Core2 D/Q
Core i9 = Core2 Q Extreme

Get rid of different names and go strictly numbers. That would clear up everything :) Ah...we can dream...

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
"... with Celeron being good ..."

I understand an Intel rep can't call one of his processors bad, but refering to a Celeron as "good" is an outright lie.

I have a feeling the core i3 will be the low power 32nm Arrandale processors that will hit laptops soon. And yes, those will just be dual core.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Uh, no.The lineup will now be Atom, Celeron, Pentium, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7. I too wonder if i3 and i5 will use the same socket or not. What will be the difference between i3 and i5, and how will i3 differ from Pentium? Thanks for not clearing anything up, Intel.hey, editing DOES work, sweet![/citation]
I just looked it up. According to Wiki, core i3 will indeed refer to Arrendale, and that will use the mPGA-989 socket, which is the same socket used by Clarskfield, the mobile version of Core i7 (again, according to Wikipedia). All the core i5's look like they use different sockets. Everyone can check out the link for more info, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_(microarchitecture)

[citation][nom]hunter315[/nom]So since i5 is going to use a different socket than i7, will the i3 also use yet another socket? If intel is releasing processors for 3 or 4 sockets simultaneously then motherboards are going to get confusing quick.[/citation]

then your PC should come from Dell.com and you should avoid custom built PC's ;)

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
It's going to be a hell to get the right socket for your processor. You can't go to the shop and say I have an old i7 and want a new motherboard, you have to say the whole name and based on the name, you might need the old i7 boards or the new x55 boards or well is it confusing already. I'm not sure about the i5's if they will have different ones too, but if the i3 has another socket, expect the i5 to have 2 or even 3 different sockets too.

The whole point of the naming is to make it easier to mix and match. Now we have to ignore the i# and look beyond that. I hope they make another subname we can use that is actually useful to keep them apart, guess it will just going to be chipsets what we'll remember or dual vs tripple memory.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]krazynutz[/nom]Frankly, I think it should work like this (with liberties taken, of course):Core i1 = AtomCore i3 = Celeron DCore i5 = Pentium D/QCore i7 = Core2 D/QCore i9 = Core2 Q ExtremeGet rid of different names and go strictly numbers. That would clear up everything Ah...we can dream...[/citation]

For those of you speculating about the i9, might want to look at this:
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8076/dsc00051mvt.jpg

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
If I had to guess I would say that image is a fake photoshop (but very real looking). The only reason I can base this on is that the socket is 1366. Judging by past Intel history with socket compatibility, I really doubt Sandy Bridge will use the same socket as Nehalem. But maybe I'm wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.