Intel Reveals More About Sandy Bridge Core CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Very interesting concept to put together the CPU and GPU, though if they ever hope to catch with AMD/Nvidia graphic performance...They still have a loooooong way to go. AMD have ATI at its disposition and certainly got a good advantage already. Intels still relies on its CPU for the most taxing tasks.

banthracis

Distinguished
So slide 17 says they're keeping the integrated PCI-e from P55. Does this mean that we'll once again have a 16 total PCIe Lane limit or was this issue resolved?

Also, did Intel decouple the PCIe controller from BCLK? One of the biggest issues with Lynnfield was the stupid (and pointless) coupling of the 2 which limited stock v overclocking greatly.

[citation][nom]zipzoomflyhigh[/nom]Seems like they just tweaked Nehalem and added gpu. It's sad the s1155 wont be backwards compatible with s1156. At least with AMD's new AM3+ socket you will still be able to drop in your old AM3 cpu.[/citation]
No you won't.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20100826225852_Desktop_Bulldozer_Processors_Will_Require_New_Platforms_AMD.html
"Apparently, it was possible for AMD to make Bulldozer microprocessors compatible with existing AM3 infrastructure, but in order to do that, the company would have to sacrifice certain important features of the new core."
So they won't be throwing us old AM3 or AM2+ users a bone.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
The Intel X58 Tylersburg based platform will likely be replaced by X68 Waimea Bay which includes a Sandy Bridge-E CPU and a Patsburg PCH.

Waimea Bay / Patsburg = high-end
Cougar Point = low-end

http://vr-zone.com/articles/a-look-into-intel-s-next-gen-enthusiast-platform--sandy-bridge-e--waimea-bay/8877-1.html

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/08/12/intels-patsburg-chipset-comes-few-unexpected-surprises/

Waimea Bay Highend Desktop (HEDT) Overview
Earlier on, we had unveiled chipset specifications for Intel Mainstream (MS) desktop in 2011, but at that point in time, little was known of what would replace the Tylersburg Enthusiast Platform consisting Intel X58 Express chipset + i7-980X "Gulftown" CPU. With LGA1155 Sandy Bridge-MS samples already shipping, it even looked like we'd have the Tylersburg Enthusiast Platform sticking with us for a very long time.

Before you join the uninformed; concluding that there wouldn't be an enthusiast platform on Sandy Bridge microarchitechture in 2011, we'd like to show you some exclusive knowledge about Intel's next generation HEDT.

Intel will stick to using differentiated desktop platforms for the purpose of market segmentation in 2011. The LGA1155 Sandy Bridge-MS we've heard about over the past months will join the Cougar Point family of chipsets to corner the Mainstream and Essential market segments. For the highend segment, Waimea Bay will take the lead by joining Sandy Bridge-E processors to the Patsburg Platform Controller Hub (PCH). Because Sandy Bridge on LGA1155 will only be available in 2 core and 4 core versions, those looking forward to having 6 cores or more will have to put their money where it counts: on the Waimea Bay platform.

Intel also has intentions to market their next generation "Taylorsville" 6Gb/s Solid State Drives (SSDs) as a complement to the Waimea Bay HEDT platform.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Waimea Bay = Sandy Bridge-E CPU and Patsburg PCH = high-end
So, I guess its the Sandy Bridge-E CPU that a typical Tom's reader would get excited about - but, I don't see any information about it. Does anyone have any info on Sandy Bridge-E?

dertechie

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
[citation][nom]banthracis[/nom]So slide 17 says they're keeping the integrated PCI-e from P55. Does this mean that we'll once again have a 16 total PCIe Lane limit or was this issue resolved?Also, did Intel decouple the PCIe controller from BCLK? One of the biggest issues with Lynnfield was the stupid (and pointless) coupling of the 2 which limited stock v overclocking greatly.[/citation]

16 lanes from the chip. Same as P55. However, the chipset PCIE is now real PCIE 2.0, rather than PCIE 2.0 hobbled to PCIE 1.1 data rates.

As for decoupling, I think they actually went further. We have no idea how the non-K SKUs are going to overclock until we get retail samples in reviewers hands.

[citation][nom]truerock[/nom]Sandy Bridge will have USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0 and SATA 6.Gb/s... correct?[/citation]

PCIE 2.0, mixed 6 Gb/s and 3 Gb/s ports. As for USB 3, last I heard no but Wiki says otherwise. Take that with a grain of salt.

dowsire

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Wow I thought AMD would make the "right decision" and finally change or upgrade sockets. I'm grateful that they let us upgrade from am2 all the way to am3. But can we get something that's a BIG step up. I'm been waiting for BZer forever. I'm saving for this build. I WANT my Bulldozer with: AM3+, quad channel memory, 990FX chipset, AMD HD 7800 GFX, USB3 and SATA3 on my south bridge. I've saved so much money with AMD since the k5/k6 days. I want to beat the Intel fanboys like athlon XP days. Any1 with me. I want Bulldozerer.... I want Bulldozerer.... I want Bulldozerer.... I want Bulldozerer.... If they don't do bulldozer like that, I'm switching to Intel and I've never owned an Intel!!!!!!

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Wake me up when integrated GPUs on CPUs do 60FPS in Crysis with max details at 1080 res.[/citation]

I'd guess at 7 to 8 years, by which time neither you or anybody else will give a damn about Crysis.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Yes, I've read this article over again... this is definately Grandma level tech for low-end PCs. I'm still thinking Intel will not have USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0 and SATA III until the Patsburg Platform Controller Hub is matched with some type of Sandy Bridge-E CPU. Looking like 2011 is going to be the Intel year of PCs for slow people.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I'm thinking anything spent on Intel tech in 2011 is going to be almost instantly obsolete. Hopefully 2012 will be a year of tech revolution. Who knows - maybe CPUs with clockspeeds significantly faster than my 7 year old 3.6 GHz Pentium 4.

Seikent

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
[citation][nom]Enzo Matrix[/nom]No you won't.http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/d [...] s_AMD.html"Apparently, it was possible for AMD to make Bulldozer microprocessors compatible with existing AM3 infrastructure, but in order to do that, the company would have to sacrifice certain important features of the new core."So they won't be throwing us old AM3 or AM2+ users a bone.[/citation]
If you read carefully, you should know that bulldozer is am3 compatible, but it doesn't support it fully. That means bulldozer performance will be crippled using am3.

banthracis

Distinguished
[citation][nom]truerock[/nom]I'm thinking anything spent on Intel tech in 2011 is going to be almost instantly obsolete. Hopefully 2012 will be a year of tech revolution. Who knows - maybe CPUs with clockspeeds significantly faster than my 7 year old 3.6 GHz Pentium 4.[/citation]

Clock speed has zero correlation to performance between different architectures.

I guarantee you an i7-930 under clocked to 2ghz will beat a 4.0ghz P4 in any benchmark.

banthracis

Distinguished
Actually, bulldozer is not supported in AM3, not even partially.

Direct quote from AMD's Director of Product Marketing for Server/Workstation products at AMD, on AMD's website.

in order to get the best performance, features and lowest price AMD is moving Bulldozer into an AM3+ socket. There will be no AM3 support as that could compromise features, performance and lead to a higher price.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/2010/08/30/bulldozer-20-questions-%E2%80%93-part-2/comment-page-3/#comments

notty22

Distinguished
Sounds awesome, this is going to kick arse.

Could the AMD trolls please vent their unhappiness somewhere else ?
It will only be another year before you get a new desktop cpu, :)

Status
Not open for further replies.