Intel Reveals More Details of Ivy Bridge Variants at ISSCC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
I don't see any reason, for a gamer, to go beyond i5 2500/2500k with a sandy bridge board capable of getting an ivy processor in 1-2 years..
Even the GPUs are throttling down energy and are not boosting performance..the 7xxx series of ATI seem like that..(To be honest i am quite happy with my 5870 at 1920x1200 in 99% of games at max settings)

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
i don't think if you want to upgrade from sandy i5 and i7, but if your coming frmo i3 then its worth the upgrade, but most likely you would be building the entire pc again, specially those who come from sb-e. although for people who loves to build pc and keep different kinds of them for test and other self satisfaction rights, then it is worth it

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
[citation][nom]geekapproved[/nom]I think I'll keep my 5.2ghz 3960X, lol.[/citation]
haha okayy: Core i3-2100/Asrock H61/8GB1333/XFX HD5850oc/WD Black 500/Antec 300/Antec EA380w bronze
Just finished Deus Ex:HR

cbrunnem

Distinguished
[citation][nom]makasin[/nom]Huh? I think you might have misquoted somebody. Anyways, I was talking about Skyrim. I get decent FPS though with everything set on high. I use a mod now that replaces some function calls with optimized ones and now its great. My video card isn't the bottleneck, so most games are fine, just the ones that aren't super optimized for 4+ threads like skyrim (which is 2 threads mostly), since my 2.66 only goes up to 2.8GHz in turbo mode. I haven't really OC'd because of my stock cooler. Would anyone recommend an OC with my stock cooler if my idle temps are around 41-48 on light load (2 browsers, a bunch of tabs, and email client). It's probably my GPU, since it's at 52C idle and 70s under super load. It's the gigabyte one that blows hot air everywhere. Ive got all my case fans populated. I just feel like if Im going to buy a new case (which I will) and new ram, I should just get a whole new setup, with the exception of GPU.[/citation]

i did sir. i meant to click the person above you.
[citation][nom]looniam[/nom]http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 63-13.htmlno difference with an i3 to i7![/citation]

your wrong. thats single player and who plays single player? no one.

monsta

Splendid
Ive also been waiting for Ivy Bridge and then I read about Haswell and its going to be another chipset requiring a new mobo, this is planned for next year, I'm tired of having to change motherboard all the time just to get a new cpu, its not a cheap excercise , just wished Intel could try to stick to one long enough....

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Not sure if Ivy will be a worthy upgrade over my 2600k @ 4.5 other than slightly better temps from the lower nm process and slight bump in speed 10-20% I've read about. But may do it anyway just to have the latest greatest, along with 2 GTX 680s in SLI. 2560 x 1600 res ftw.[/citation]
Actually you should upgrade, as soon as possible and donate your current comp to me, I will gladly take that off slow useless comp off your hands :)

newt183

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
[citation][nom]monsta[/nom]Ive also been waiting for Ivy Bridge and then I read about Haswell and its going to be another chipset requiring a new mobo, this is planned for next year, I'm tired of having to change motherboard all the time just to get a new cpu, its not a cheap excercise , just wished Intel could try to stick to one long enough....[/citation]

I hear you man, I've been through 4 motherboards in the past 2 years (does it count if they were doa? lol)

newt183

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
[citation][nom]Newt183[/nom]I hear you man, I've been through 4 motherboards in the past 2 years (does it count if they were doa? lol)[/citation]

lol, sign me up!

ismaeljrp

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]monsta[/nom]Ive also been waiting for Ivy Bridge and then I read about Haswell and its going to be another chipset requiring a new mobo, this is planned for next year, I'm tired of having to change motherboard all the time just to get a new cpu, its not a cheap excercise , just wished Intel could try to stick to one long enough....[/citation]

If you knew anything about Intel's Tick-Tock cadence. Then you would have been prepared.

Get Haswell as soon as it's released. Which is Intel's Tock ( New Microarchitecture ). Then upgrade to Broadwell , Tick ( Die shrink- same architecture and same socket ). After that you are out of luck.

Tock is one year, Tick is the very next. Every year there will be either a Tick or a Tock. Hindsight is always 20/20 buddy.

G

Read the last line fools. Only the dual cores will be delayed. The high end parts (the one's they make money on) will still be there for you to purchase :).

ccbad

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
Do you think an I7 ivy bridge will be a good upgrade from Athlon II X3 450? Lol. I will ask for a whole upgrade kit for my birthday and Christmas.

misternumberone

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]lancelot123[/nom]My tax return is burning a hole in my packet. I have a Q9400 right now and I want to upgrade badly (not that the Q9400 is horrible). I was just planning on getting a 2500K right now. Should I just try and wait it out?[/citation]
I have just upgraded to a QX9650 from an embarrassing Pentium D 960, and I love this core 2 quad. I'm a big fan of socket LGA775, and I can definitely say that this Core 2 Quad QX9650 I got used for $150 is much better than a modern Core i3, and can even compete with the i5-2500K!

Status
Not open for further replies.