Intel Reveals New ''Canoe Lake'' Platform

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madass

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]They tend to be named after an area that they were developed in. Canoe Lake seems like an area in Oregon since thats where one of Intels biggest FABs is located.Sure. But a dual core Athlon II can't match Atom in battery life. Atoms game is not pure performance. Thats Core. Atoms is ULV. And so far nothing matches Atom at its performance and power usage.I can see the applications of this for more than just Netbooks too. Being able to make something that thin would be q feat and probably work to produce very light and portable tablets that can be used in the science and medical field over a WiMAX network.Now if anything, this is also powered by Intels Moorestown based Atom and if so, didn't THG do a review of the CPU and they said it was capable of decoding dual 1080P HD streams?[/citation]
So AMD's Phenom II's were developed on the star Deneb?

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
"thermal cooling" - This means no active cooling system right? Seems like hype for saying "we do less to cool the CPU."

Honestly with a CPU intended for the mobile market you shouldn't be requiring a fan to cool it. Can't remember the last time the fan kicked on inside my smart phone to cool down the internals...

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
[citation][nom]computers_were_too_slow_in_1998[/nom]Can we finally get past netbooks? I want a laptop that doesn't suck at life... Intel fanboys will tout Nehalem's occasional 10-20% superiority in real-world benchies over AMD as a "vast lead", and yet will go buy an Atom CPU that's comparable to a Pentium III. This is not progress.[/citation]

I know, right?

After seeing the $400+ prices on netbooks I see them as very pointless. The idea was something cheap and small. Well, they have the small part right.

As such my idea of a netbook is simply a old used laptop. If you do it right, you pay way less for a larger display optical drive oh, and something also the same speed or faster. I got a F700 from my local craigslist. It has a Athlon 64 x2 at 1.9 gigahertz. I paid $190, then later paid $27 for 2 gigs of RAM from an auction on ebay. So, final price of $217. I like my results.

As far as battery goes, the one that came with it lasts about an hour, so if I wanted to replicate 8 or 9 I could just buy another two from ebay for like $30. Still way cheaper and eats alive what a netbook is capable of.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]False_Dmitry_II[/nom]I know, right?After seeing the $400+ prices on netbooks I see them as very pointless. The idea was something cheap and small. Well, they have the small part right.As such my idea of a netbook is simply a old used laptop. If you do it right, you pay way less for a larger display optical drive oh, and something also the same speed or faster. I got a F700 from my local craigslist. It has a Athlon 64 x2 at 1.9 gigahertz. I paid $190, then later paid $27 for 2 gigs of RAM from an auction on ebay. So, final price of $217. I like my results.As far as battery goes, the one that came with it lasts about an hour, so if I wanted to replicate 8 or 9 I could just buy another two from ebay for like $30. Still way cheaper and eats alive what a netbook is capable of.[/citation]

...and then you picked up your twelve pound five year old laptop with its thirty minute battery life and instantly realized that modern netbooks are actually superior. :)

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Jonnydough[/nom]...and then you picked up your twelve pound five year old laptop with its thirty minute battery life and instantly realized that modern netbooks are actually superior.[/citation]

It's a 2 year old 4-5~ish pound one. Battery life is the one thing they have over it. But nobody really wants to sit in one exact spot for the entire duration of a netbook's battery so that advantage is mitigated with what I came up with. You can't even watch hulu correctly on those things, they're just. too. slow.

Other than that it's a far inferior product in every way. It costs hundreds more and is capable of 4 times less. Sure, you can carry them around in one hand, but I can almost do that with this.

My brother actually has had a netbook for about a year now, and I've had this laptop I was talking about for a couple of weeks. Let me assure you: I checked it out for awhile and that's what fueled the conclusion I've laid out here. It is, in fact, the slowest computer my family has, and the next up is the file/print server which is a good deal faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.