News Intel Rocket Lake, Alder Lake CPU Photos Leaked Online

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

everettfsargent

Honorable
Oct 13, 2017
One PCIe 4.0 lane uses less power and die area than two 3.0 ones. Intel may also have more power-efficient PCIe 4.0 PHY/MAC designs than AMD's - Intel has been doing high speed networking for a long time, developed high-speed transceivers for Thunderbolt for a while, acquired a portfolio of multi-gigabit transceivers by buying out Altera and probably a few others. Xilinx which AMD is currently in the process of acquiring likely has better PCIe 4.0/5.0 designs than AMD/TSMC too.

With all that going for IBM, hmm, err, Intel, they should release their own PCIe 4.0 Oplame SSD. As Oplame was so successful and inexpensive. Or maybe use all of those up to four PCIe 4.0 lanes for a discrete GPU from Nvidia, AMD or even Apple. Oh wait, the OEM's make those kind of decisions. All I know is that some OEM will put a somewhat pokey 4.0 SSD (by current theoretical bandwidth standards) into their Tiger Lake laphot, then we will see the actual real world improvements over a fully optimized high throughput bleeding edge 3.0 SSD. Like doing a double blind experiment, which is faster. the 4.0 laphot or the 3.0 laptop. I'm suggesting that if one were to do a true double blind experiment, that the results would NOT be statistically significant or robust (the null hypothesis is that there is no difference so that you need significance or confidence to void or exclude the null). Remember, real world and real normal people as gear heads would just do a throughput test benchmark.

Oct 10, 2020
Too little, too late... Buying an AMD 5800X tomorrow. I'm fed up with all these socket changes for every single CPU Intel releases. After 25 years with Intel I'm not going to Team red.
I was also planning to buy an Nvidia RTX3070, but I might end up with a AMD 6800XT instead. There are no Nvidia cards to buy anyway so if AMD will have GFX-card at the release date I might end up all red.

Too little, too late... Buying an AMD 5800X tomorrow. I'm fed up with all these socket changes for every single CPU Intel releases. After 25 years with Intel I'm not going to Team red.
So you are getting the flagship CPU of a brand new gen, how little faith do you have in this CPU that you are already planning in an upgrade route? That CPU should be good for many years to come and the mobo will most likely fail or become obsolete long before the CPU will.

I can understand it if someone only has money for the weakest chip at the time of building the system and plans on buying a higher end CPU later in the gen or even in the next gen but when buying the top CPU of any gen you are set for a very long time.

Oct 10, 2020
Flagship? You have 5600X that is the cheapest, then you have the 5800X and in addition you have 5900X and then 5950X... So I'm not buying any flagship at all....

Flagship? You have 5600X that is the cheapest, then you have the 5800X and in addition you have 5900X and then 5950X... So I'm not buying any flagship at all....
It has the most Watt per core so it will get the highest all core clocks.
But even as a mid range CPU everything I said still stands, do you expect that you will have to replace it in a few years, before the features of the mobo become obsolete?

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
I was also planning to buy an Nvidia RTX3070, but I might end up with a AMD 6800XT instead. There are no Nvidia cards to buy anyway so if AMD will have GFX-card at the release date I might end up all red.

you are too late as well . this is the last AM4 CPU for AMD , you will change the socket if you buy AMD now you like it or not.

InvalidError

Titan
you are too late as well . this is the last AM4 CPU for AMD , you will change the socket if you buy AMD now you like it or not.
Got to love the irony of people raging about end-of-life socket only to buy an end-of-life socket themselves. Most people don't upgrade often enough for platform cycle life to matter, whatever they have will be way beyond obsolete by the time they buy again and AMD's 2-3 years of backwards/forward compatibility (5000-series not supported by 300-series boards and some 400-series too, A520/B550 not supporting anything older than Zen 2) isn't that much of an improvement over Intel's two.

Reactions: nofanneeded

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Got to love the irony of people raging about end-of-life socket only to buy an end-of-life socket themselves. Most people don't upgrade often enough for platform cycle life to matter, whatever they have will be way beyond obsolete by the time they buy again and AMD's 2-3 years of backwards/forward compatibility (5000-series not supported by 300-series boards and some 400-series too, A520/B550 not supporting anything older than Zen 2) isn't that much of an improvement over Intel's two.

I totally Agree , After the memory controller moved into the CPU , and the north bridge chip disappeared , I never upgraded any CPU on the same motherboard . Before that it was more common .

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Rocket Lake doesn't look like a water tread to me. Looks like they want to continue dominating single thread with IPC update + 14nm boost clock + faster DDR + 20 lanes PCIE4 + improved GPU.

Well it is what they can do with what they have as far as a process node with lots of capacity, and that appears to be pretty impressive. With their well established and very cost-efficient 14nm node, Intel should also be capable of competing very effectively on price. The "downside" is that they are limited in # of transistors they can put on a die, hence the max 8c/16t part, but I would guess that the desktop market for anything more than 8c/16t is miniscule compared to the 4-8c systems.

InvalidError

Titan
Never even mentioned that he forthcoming PCI-e 4.0/LGA1200 products are STILL...14 nm......and, will seemingly not clock as high as predecessors.
Everyone knows that Rocket Lake is on 14nm, nothing new there regardless of whether it got omitted and nobody should care what process a product was made on as long as it delivers competitive performance with acceptable power efficiency at reasonable prices. Leaks seem to indicate that Rocket Lake will boost somewhere in the neighborhood of 5.3GHz, which is plenty fast enough when combined with a ~19% IPC uplift. That would punt Intel back ~15% ahead of Zen 3 for most gaming.

Reactions: badger2k

everettfsargent

Honorable
Oct 13, 2017
Everyone knows that Rocket Lake is on 14nm, nothing new there regardless of whether it got omitted and nobody should care what process a product was made on as long as it delivers competitive performance with acceptable power efficiency at reasonable prices. Leaks seem to indicate that Rocket Lake will boost somewhere in the neighborhood of 5.3GHz, which is plenty fast enough when combined with a ~19% IPC uplift. That would punt Intel back ~15% ahead of Zen 3 for most gaming.
Yes! While burning through 300W+ ... on all of just eight cores max .... seven generations stalled at 14nm ... eight plus years from 22nm to 10 nm on the desktop ... no biggie though .... because WATTS do not matter. Anyone could run five 3700X using less power than what Intel offers on one desktop or two 5950X's for that matter. I can hear Intel now ... Alder Lake delayed until 2022 ... because no fabs ... Intel outsources ... to Apple ... Alder Lake rebranded Hummer Heater!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS