News Intel Rocket Lake Eight-Core CPU Struts Gen12 Xe Prowess In New Benchmark

everettfsargent

Honorable
Oct 13, 2017
"... since Intel has not launched desktop Ice Lake yet..."

If any such plans ever existed, they got buried years ago when Intel decided to scale back its 10nm plans in favor of fast-tracking 7nm .

The only thing that Intel is fast tracking is their 14nm node, six full years come October, what new 14nm node CPU will Intel announce/release in the 7th year of this slow-as-molasses saga?

Maybe Intel needs to bypass both 10nm AND 7nm, go directly to 5nm, then change that to 3nm, then change that to 1nm and finally change that to 0nm!

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
While the number of EUs is low in this chip, I actually don't think it will be a problem for desktop chips. I feel the higher end processor you get, the importance of the iGPU diminishes. It is good to have just in case or for non graphic intensive work. For those looking for higher graphical performance, they will end up with a dedicated graphic solution. Which is why I feel that AMD's Renoir for desktop is kind of an odd product where the highest end APU gets the fastest iGPU. This made sense from a product segmentation standpoint, but runs counter to consumer behavior. Typically people buy a mid/lower end chip for budget gaming, so would be ideal to have fast iGPU as well.