News Intel Rumored to Launch Arc Alchemist Desktop Cards Around Computex

InvalidError

Titan
Looking forward to seeing how well or how poorly ARC's performance and driver stability will manage to convince the market to agree with Intel's price points.

My bet is on teething issues causing poor sales and Intel having to cut prices early to keep inventory moving.

Jan 3, 2022
Nviida has OptiX nad CUDA for raytracing and GPU compute API. I wonder if Arc will have the same support in various applications.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
I think Intel may have missed the boat on this one. Had they been ready and on shelves at the end of last year, into the very beginning of this year, they would have gained a foothold in the market. As it stands, supply is finally catching up for current gen parts as folks hold off waiting for next gen parts to launch in the fall.

My greatest concern is that this gets Larrabee'd last minute or is a repeat of the doomed i740. The last two years have proven that we really need a third competitor in the GPU market

Reactions: LolaGT

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
I would agree that intel has already lost this race. Not meeting earlier introduction dates has now been shown to be a huge fopaux.
These cards will have to be really cut in price to sell. In the gaming hardware business no one will look to last years tech when the new shiny sparkly thing is on the horizon.
They made GPUs to compete with ampere, but ampere is mostly over.
I guess they better hope for a crypto boom.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
I think Intel may have missed the boat on this one. Had they been ready and on shelves at the end of last year, into the very beginning of this year, they would have gained a foothold in the market. As it stands, supply is finally catching up for current gen parts as folks hold off waiting for next gen parts to launch in the fall.

My greatest concern is that this gets Larrabee'd last minute or is a repeat of the doomed i740. The last two years have proven that we really need a third competitor in the GPU market
The market demand will return. What happened the last 2 gens when new cards were released? Demand exceeded supply. It will be worse this time with not just one, but three GPU designers crowding TSMC. Hopefully Intel can have a release like Alder with plenty of supply and good prices, at least until the market gets squeezed again.

InvalidError

Titan
It will be worse this time with not just one, but three GPU designers crowding TSMC.
Not necessarily: at least this time around, AMD won't be splitting 7nm between Xbox, PS5, Zen 3 and Radeon 6xxx. GDDR6 supply going into consoles should also die down as that market approaches saturation.

Also, most of the demand for GPUs was driven by Ethereum. Once that goes PoS, the flood of used mining GPU will crash market prices. There likely are millions more GPUs used for mining today than there were six years ago, so I'd expect the GPU flood to be significantly worse than the last time around.

Co BIY

Splendid
Early introduction could mean Intel thinks the market will get back to normal stock / MSRP pricing before third quarter .

Agree with earlier posts that it looks like Intel will have "missed it by .... that much".

Those prices and comparisons don't look great. I think they need to undercut Nvidia price by 30% at the same performance for the first generation. If they prove themselves then the next gen can price to market.

My bet is on teething issues causing poor sales and Intel having to cut prices early to keep inventory moving.
The only thing they have to do is to convince the OEMs that they can supply them with a steady amount of GPUs without changes in prices.
They don't even need to be better prices than nvidia or amd as long as it's a steady supply OEMs will be more than happy.

Consumer DIY market, as always, is the least of any companies concerns.

InvalidError

Titan
They don't even need to be better prices than nvidia or amd as long as it's a steady supply OEMs will be more than happy.
They may have welcomed whatever they could get six months ago while GPUs were still a major bottleneck to shipping systems, not so much now that most GPUs are in stock near MSRP. OEMs usually don't want to burn their brands by using sub-par overpriced components unless they absolutely have to or get massively sweetened deals.

InvalidError

Titan
Also there is a high demand for low tier GPUs in OEM systems and nvidia/amd have completely abandoned that part of the market.
Intel's $150 A380 GTX1650 isn't bringing anything particularly exciting to the "low-tier GPU" department either when the RX6500 is 40-60% faster under most circumstances and can now be had for ~$200 (less if you get a model bundled with stuff you were going to buy separately near full retail price anyway) without the worries about Intel's driver quality.

While most people may not notice sub-par performance due to having single-channel memory or sub-par CPU cooling, they will definitely notice when games fail to launch or have substantial visual glitches not present on any other GPU as was the case in early ARC reviews based on Samsung's laptop.

Intel's $150 A380 GTX1650 isn't bringing anything particularly exciting to the "low-tier GPU" department either when the RX6500 is 40-60% faster under most circumstances and can now be had for ~$200 (less if you get a model bundled with stuff you were going to buy separately near full retail price anyway) without the worries about Intel's driver quality.
Can an OEM every OEM, get like 10.000 (random guess) of those each quarter?
My point from the beginning was steady supply not if it's exiting or has high value.

InvalidError

Titan
Can an OEM every OEM, get like 10.000 (random guess) of those each quarter?
My point from the beginning was steady supply not if it's exiting or has high value.
And my point is: it still has to work and preliminary results from the Samsung laptop seem to indicate that ARC is plague with many major driver issues. If OEMs sell systems with ARC GPUs before the worst bugs are sorted out, a disproportionate and potentially ruinous amount of those systems will get returned for repair, replacement or refund. OEMs don't want that.