Intel Sampling Nehalem-successor ''Sandy Bridge''

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
It just seems like Intel is on a mission to dominate. The CPU market is becoming a bit lopsided...hopefully AMD will ramp up their game a bit.

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
[citation][nom]pbrigido[/nom]It just seems like Intel is on a mission to dominate. The CPU market is becoming a bit lopsided...hopefully AMD will ramp up their game a bit.[/citation] That's what bulldozer is for, to even the game up a bit, I sure hope that works out as they expect it to.

G

So, we can drool all over what is essentially a die-shrunk Core i7 with a crap IGP on die and a few extra instructions, or, about the same time, we will get AMD Fusion with 480 Evergreen stream processors attached directly to the cores, ushering in a new era of feasibility for mainstream GPGPU applications as well as high performance, low latency graphics. I've got a good idea of who's getting my money next generation.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
[citation][nom]vant[/nom]Great, I'm going to have to change my mobo again?[/citation]

You can keep your current CPU/Mobo and never change. Would that make you happy?

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
It's getting annoying how there's no upgrade path with Intel. Just about every new processor line is a new socket that has no backwards compatibility of any sort.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]John_Dune[/nom]god, i hope that lga 1155 is a typo[/citation]

Me too. The reason many people get i7 9XX + X58 nowadays is to prepare for the future hexa and octo cores. If the only Hex-core they get is the i7 980X, there will be MANY MANY angry gamers out there.

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
I'm with all the others irritated about the socket changes, my p6t deluxe cost 250 dollars why can't I keep it for another upgrade? x58 not good enough? I know there is a 6 core lga 1366 but I can't afford the extreme edition price, maybe if the "mainstream" one comes out at a reasonable price I'll upgrade, for now the 920 is doing well and I can't justify another 200 dollar mainboard and 250 dollar cpu the wife would beat me.

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]John_Dune[/nom]god, i hope that lga 1155 is a typo[/citation]

According to WikiPedia it isn't :(
1155 and 1356 for high end.

There's still a bit of hope for us though, since those pin counts are less than the current pin count. If they keep the pin assignments, and if the current chipsets are modular enough to allow versatile power requirements, they can still make it work in the current 1156 and 1366 motherboards, theoretically.

The AM3 sockets have more pins than AM2+, but the AM3 CPUs only use 938 pins, and so they can fit in the 940 pin AM2 sockets. It's not the same situation, but still.

I know I'm crossing my fingers to keep my P55 system usable with those future CPUs.

vincentyu

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
With LGA 1155 my guess is that intel is replacing DMI link to PCH chip with QPI for bigger bandwidth to accomodate sata 6GB and USB 3.0.

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]andy5174[/nom]@backin5:Why would you worry about the upgrade path? Your LGA1156 CPU is far less than a year old.[/citation]

We all upgrade eventually.

Although I'll admit the considerations for going with LGA1156 were not only financial, as I was also quite concerned with heat (the 30W difference from the LGA1366 Core i7 is significant enough, esp. if you plan to overclock), still replacing an Intel CPU and motherboard isn't cheap (I don't go for the cheapest motherboards).

And at some point, probably before upgrading my Core i5 750, I plan on migrating from my 4850 crossfire to a crossfire of ATI 58xx, when prices go down (hopefully).

It's a good thing that DDR4 isn't expected before 2012. Replacing 8GB of RAM isn't cheap either.

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
As for socket type, I never upgrade the processor without replacing the motherboard since the chip typically goes with the motherboard to either a family member, friends or craigslist!

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]Sandy Bridge, Cougar Point, there has to be a joke in that.[/citation]

Actually, as it turns out, Sandy Bridge was to be named "Gesher" ("bridge" in Hebrew), but since it was also a name of a political party in Israel, they changed it.

There is apparently a bridge named Sandy Bridge in Singapore.

If they were to call the other one Cougar Town, someone would have filed a lawsuit for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.