Intel Sampling Prototype Medfield Smartphones, Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]nice going intel. hopefully their will be a good battle between ARM and intel, so that us consumers can benefit.[/citation]

...this guy is an idiot who can't spell... that is all.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I still say that if Intel wants to make traction in this area they need to approach a company like nVidia and license the x86 tech to them so they can also make a chip. This is what worked all those years ago. Where do you think AMD came from. I know, I know. They don't want the additional competition on the full PC side, but all they would need to do is add an agreement that the license would only be for making these mobile chips to go into phones and/or tablets. With Intel and nVidia making these chips, Phone manufacturers would be more interested. As it is, a lot of the curent phone manufacturers, including the two largest, use their own chips. They might need this move to really succeed.

jblack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
The prototype phone was reported to be on par with the latest iPhone 4S and Android smartphone,

And if they want to compete, they need to be better than the 4S and the latest Android smartphone, because they still don't have a final product. By the time this is released both Apple and Android phone makers will have something better out.

G

"
And if they want to compete, they need to be better than the 4S and the latest Android smartphone, because they still don't have a final product. By the time this is released both Apple and Android phone makers will have something better out."

Uh, yeah, they know that. That is why this is a prototype. You prototype what you are going to do but publish the current since the future isn't out yet. Good grief man! The specs for the processor looked real good in testing apparently. Battery life was excellent and performance was off the charts. Intel will be more competitive than people first thought. If they win a few designs, they will really start to make headway because this will be quickly followed with a 22nm design and then a whole new design. Much like ARM entering the PC market, this is good for all of us. Competition will be stiff and that will lead to much better products! We ALL win!

peevee

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I would like to see the performance of this Atom in comparison to ARM A15. While Intel for some reason (desperate to save some watts?) went back for in-order execution it last had 20 years ago in 486, ARM is out-of-order since A9 if I remember correctly.

G

Well done google you promised less fragmentation for android and now we are going to have x86, risc and arms cpus in our mobile devices... prepare to die Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.