News Intel Says Goodbye to Rocket Lake CPUs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
going to eventually buy an 11th gen.
I guess you're thinking about an 11th gen i9? Just don't skimp on cooling!
🔥 🥵

buying the 11th gen will be only when there's plenty of extra cash.
Given the last order date is late this August, new retail boxed 11th gen desktop CPUs should start becoming scarce towards the end of the year. Of course, used ones should remain fairly plentiful on ebay, for some time yet to come.

Reactions: artk2219 and Tac 25

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
I guess you're thinking about an 11th gen i9? Just don't skimp on cooling!
🔥 🥵

Given the last order date is late this August, new retail boxed 11th gen desktop CPUs should start becoming scarce towards the end of the year. Of course, used ones should remain fairly plentiful on ebay, for some time yet to come.

not an i9, just an i5.

thanks for the reminder, already fine with the cooling. The current cooler keeps my 10600K at 30-40 degrees on idle, and 50-60 on gaming. So the 11th gen would probably be ok as well. I don't overclock.

could actually buy the i5-11600K now. But it's the start of the year, taxes and other bills to pay - so those have to be paid first to avoid consequences. Anyway, still plenty of boxed 11th gen cpu's in the store at the mall where I purchase cpu and gpu's.

Last edited:
Reactions: artk2219

artk2219

Distinguished
Wont be capped if its a Z490, B560, H470, and Z590
Something to keep in mind is that not every 400 series board can use an 11 series chip. Like this board, which was a bit annoying to find out when I tried to pair it with an 11700 for a build. Sure I only paid $45 for it because i found a great deal, but come on Asus.

Reactions: Tac 25

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Yeah and being a Noob with quite a bit of hardware installs, for example CPU, and CPU Coolers, and Motherboards not that great at.

Can do Ram upgrades myself, Video card, Wifi/Bluetooth card, and M.2 and Sata Drives, and Power supply

When i needed a newer case in 2020, i opted to have Shop upgrade Motherboard at the time, and CPU.

Thats how i ended up with Gigabyte B460M_DS3H motherboard, its an ok board, does meet my needs, but if i had a choice probably would've picked a full ATX board with more USB ports, and maybe Built in WIfi/Bluetooth, and Intel 2.5gig lan built in perhaps. But for now this will do

For now i'll research items, and weigh the cost and value aspects

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Something to keep in mind is that not every 400 series board can use an 11 series chip. Like this board, which was a bit annoying to find out when I tried to pair it with an 11700 for a build.
Did you try the latest BIOS for it?

Of course, if you only have an 11th gen CPU at your disposal, then updating the BIOS isn't an option, but that's usually all it takes to use a newer model CPU when the socket hasn't changed. A lot of people will ebay a cheap, compatible CPU to update the BIOS, and then maybe turn around and put it back up on ebay.

Reactions: artk2219

artk2219

Distinguished
Did you try the latest BIOS for it?

Of course, if you only have an 11th gen CPU at your disposal, then updating the BIOS isn't an option, but that's usually all it takes to use a newer model CPU when the socket hasn't changed. A lot of people will ebay a cheap, compatible CPU to update the BIOS, and then maybe turn around and put it back up on ebay.
Yep! Latest revision, apparently it's an issue with the board Asus hasn't been able to resolve, likely due to 11 series being a power hog. Works fine with anything 10 series, tells you to take a hike if you try an 11 series chip. I'd be super annoyed if I had paid the $260 MSRP for that board.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/l...-will-support-rocket-lake-s-processors,2.html

Reactions: bit_user

Stolk

Commendable
Aug 12, 2020
11th gen will be missed, as it is the last generation by Intel to do AVX512.

12th gen had AVX512 disabled, and 13th gen never had it!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
11th gen will be missed, as it is the last generation by Intel to do AVX512.
Except it didn't perform terribly well...
a9bfe26f94c2.svgz
...and ran hot as hell.
ba79d9ba193d.svgz
Source:

Therefore, if you really wanted AVX-512, and you had to run Intel, and you couldn't afford a Xeon W, then your best bet would probably be an 8-core Tiger Lake HX series. They built a NUC Extreme with it, at one point.

12th gen had AVX512 disabled, and 13th gen never had it!
Are you sure they physically removed it from the Raptor Cove cores? Has someone done a die shot analysis and found it missing? Not that it really matters, if we have no way of enabling it... I'm just curious.

Stolk

Commendable
Aug 12, 2020
the speedup differs per workload. (i have written avx512 code using intrinsics.)

on alderlake, cpus with old firmware would show avx512, but I think you had to disable efficiency cores, which did not have the extension.

but due to firmware upgrades, it is now totally impossible.
As i do not think you can revert to old firmware.

Stolk

Commendable
Aug 12, 2020
and yeah,,, heh… i considered getting that NUC when I wanted to do avx512, but ended up getting a XeonW instead (from ebay salvage out of macpro)

And later got gen11 cpu too.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
the speedup differs per workload. (i have written avx512 code using intrinsics.)
Yes, I know. The benchmark article I linked shows a significant amount of variation, between the different tests. Also, the chosen tests were limited to those the author expected to have a measurable benefit.

Would you care to share for what sort of task you used it?