Intel Says it Will Out-Wrestle ARM in Power Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

kancaras

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
ofc they can reduce size and power. atom cpus are way too powerfull for smartphones. power, size, speed - all can decrease if needed. but the main question is: wheres amd?

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Can't see ARM being totally wiped. They produce processors for different instructions sets where as Atom runs the x86 instruction set which is supposedly heavier and harder to implement. Also the graph doesn't take into account ARM won't stand still and not improve themselves. I can also assume that the last "trump" will be some sort of fusion with GPU and CPU in one package. With phones playing more games and HD content I guess its only time before bigger dedicated GPU's are needed. One package saves power and to my knowledge ARM doesn't have a GPU solution to integrate into processors

dude846

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Im sure most of their budget goes into R&D, because marketing is definitely not one of their strongest suits. Not that they really need to. They seem to have their fingers in just about everything - like Foxconn.

mosu

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Android doesn't need x86 instruction set, so Snapdragon and Hummingbird should go multicore with advanced power saving and they will compete with success against Intel.Increasing multitasking capabilities and complementing with something like ION platform will be a winning combination in the growing tablet-PC market.

wildfox

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]feeddagoat[/nom]Can't see ARM being totally wiped. They produce processors for different instructions sets where as Atom runs the x86 instruction set which is supposedly heavier and harder to implement. Also the graph doesn't take into account ARM won't stand still and not improve themselves. I can also assume that the last "trump" will be some sort of fusion with GPU and CPU in one package. With phones playing more games and HD content I guess its only time before bigger dedicated GPU's are needed. One package saves power and to my knowledge ARM doesn't have a GPU solution to integrate into processors[/citation]
ARM is improving also, dual-cores are coming. They have GPU integration, at least the Snarpdragon has it and it's a year old (maybe AMD gpu). And don't forget the radio integration, intel will need that too.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
ARM will react for sure. but they are ahead for the moment, they have the market and the experience. Intel is new for the phone/mobile market in the same sector where ARM is.
So its good for both of them, it will be good to see AMD in this market too!
go competition go !

"With (our) Moorestown processor we equal them on standby power, in the next generation Medfield we will equal them on active power,"

I hope Intel knows ARM's next generation solution or they will be in a uphill battle. Hey Intel, how does it feels being in the other side (e.g AMD).
Lets see what other "tricks up its sleeve" Intel has beside unfair and deceptive business practices.

It could be better for us consumers....the more the merrier

NotYetRated

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Let's just hope Intel doesn't completely blow away the competition and get into a mindset like they were before AMD or any other company offered them any competition. We all know they will bleed us dry with no competitors.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I"d be curious to see how this turns out. If Bobcat from amd does well and ARM can keep thier lead or at least if they do lose thier lead keep up and intel keeps up thier race for smartphone/netbook/tablet processors then we all win by nto only the drive for them to improve thier tech to compete but also to compete in price :D good news all around

exodite

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
[citation][nom]mosu[/nom]Android doesn't need x86 instruction set, so Snapdragon and Hummingbird should go multicore with advanced power saving and they will compete with success against Intel.[/citation]
One of the significant advantages about the Android platform is that it relies on Java for most user-installed software. Meaning the platform can embrace both next-generation ARM processors as well as Moorestown/Medfield without any significant app fragmentation.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I hate intel, greedy bastards trying to put everyone out of business.

Force complete platform upgrades on every generation (even sub-generation) of products.

They have assured me that I will never buy any of their products ever again.

kresso

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
This is another reason why I think smoothstone (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-arm-cpu-smooth-stone,11172.html) is going to have a hard time.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Isn't the x86 instruction set already depricated in favor of the new SSE standards?

Intel will have to make something that can run the ARM instruction set (sort of the industry standard for low power devices....)

And yes, the snapdragon uses an AMD graphics core....something else Intel fails to stay competitive in is graphics cores....

If this will bring down prices of competitors....let Intel try it out ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.