Intel Says SSD Sales Are Not Picking Up Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I just ordered my 240 GB Corsair SSD and can't wait to hook it up, almost everyone who has purchased it is Awed by it's lightning fast reads and writes. 12 second boot times and 3 second shutdowns and 10X faster loads on Office software. I can't wait to see how fast it loads up my Flight simulator. Hard to beat, Wish price would of allowed me to do it earlier. GO SSD.....

fomoz

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
A year ago when I built a new PC I bought one SSD (120 GB) for $230 and four HDDs (5 TB total) for $280, so I spent a total of $510 on storage.

Today, with the same budget for PC storage, the cheapest per GB SSD solution I can get for is a 300 GB Intel 320 (SATA II). Where am I going to put my torrents though?

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
SSDs are far to high, even for the increased performance of the drives. The fact that I can purchase a 64GB USB flash drive for around $50 USD, when a 64GB SSD is $100 USD(at best), or [usually] more. I know that a SSD will transfer data faster, outside of the drive, but that does not explain why SSDs cost so much more.

A 512GB SSD should be between $200 to $300, or even a little lower. Once SSDs start getting into that price point, then sales will greatly increase. I would be willing to buy three or four, to add to my two current drives.

These companies are abusing this supposed hard drive "shortage" to try and push a far more expensive technology. It isn't working.

CKKwan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Intel hopes SSD sales will pick up "as long as hard drive vendors won't come up with thinner hard drives"?

This is like my 7 yrs old telling me that "I will get no. 1 in school as long as all my friends didn't study at all".

I think Intel needs to be more realistic. Reduce SSD price plese..........

gallidorn

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
It is a very simple solution, but Intel can't see beyond it's own greed! Reduce the cost of SSD's to around $10 more than traditional hard drives of the same capacity. This would take over the hard drive market in record time.

The higher quantities sold would out-way the price reduction and not only would they be profitable, but they would control the market!

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Implement some sort of Classification for SSD, (Type 1,2,2) there SSD on market that can read write 50mb/s, or 500mb/s and some companies jump on SSD wagon selling junkie ssd's spoiling the results.

Also there no SSD"s in retail stores last time i checked CompUSA(tigerdirect) they had 3 drives that wore over 1 years old and crazy price compared to website.

No kidding the sales aren't picking up look at the prices. Maybe if the prices weren't so high for so few mb's of memory people would start buying more. I want to get 2 SSD's one for my dads build and the other for my other computer but Im not going to spend that much.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
[citation][nom]gallidorn[/nom]It is a very simple solution, but Intel can't see beyond it's own greed! Reduce the cost of SSD's to around $10 more than traditional hard drives of the same capacity. This would take over the hard drive market in record time.The higher quantities sold would out-way the price reduction and not only would they be profitable, but they would control the market![/citation]

You really have no idea what you're talking about....

srhelicity

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]gallidorn[/nom]It is a very simple solution, but Intel can't see beyond it's own greed! Reduce the cost of SSD's to around $10 more than traditional hard drives of the same capacity. This would take over the hard drive market in record time.The higher quantities sold would out-way the price reduction and not only would they be profitable, but they would control the market![/citation]

Is this even possible? The cost of NAND flash along would make such pricing impossible, at least assuming Intel doesn't actually want to lose money on each SSD. NAND flash is much more expensive than magnetic disks, so I'm afraid some of y'all are asking Intel to do something (lose money on each purchase) that isn't realistic. Anand had a write-up on this not long ago.

I went for a 128 GB (or 120 GB) Crucial m4 in my XPS 17 laptop alongside a 750 GB traditional HDD. I love it. The m4 was something like $210, though I could have picked up a OCZ or Corsair 128 GB drive for much cheaper on some of the Black Friday sales. Regardless, I'll say what most other people who have made the switch to SDD say -- I cannot imagine going back to an all-HDD system. It's unbelievable how much more response an SSD makes the computing experience.

g-unit1111

Titan
[citation][nom]festa_freak[/nom]I'm in the market for an SSD. I'm getting one on boxing day. Any suggestions in the ~$200 dollar price range?[/citation]

I actually run the Intel 320 and now that they've fixed the firmware it's an excellent drive. The Crucial M4 is still the best drive on the market right now.

gallidorn

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]srhelicity[/nom]Is this even possible? The cost of NAND flash along would make such pricing impossible, at least assuming Intel doesn't actually want to lose money on each SSD. NAND flash is much more expensive than magnetic disks, so I'm afraid some of y'all are asking Intel to do something (lose money on each purchase) that isn't realistic. Anand had a write-up on this not long ago.I went for a 128 GB (or 120 GB) Crucial m4 in my XPS 17 laptop alongside a 750 GB traditional HDD. I love it. The m4 was something like $210, though I could have picked up a OCZ or Corsair 128 GB drive for much cheaper on some of the Black Friday sales. Regardless, I'll say what most other people who have made the switch to SDD say -- I cannot imagine going back to an all-HDD system. It's unbelievable how much more response an SSD makes the computing experience.[/citation]

I'm referring to the current marked up prices of hard drives that resulted from flooding in Thailand. If Intel matches price points on that scale, they will be the obvious choice for someone looking to buy storage for their computer. With the increase in sales, they could stand to make a substantial profit.

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Just because demand for traditional hard drives plummets doesn't mean that the demand is suddenly going to shift to SSD.

If I'm in the same boat as most other people (and I think I am), this boat is content waiting for the price of either segment to come down before we make ANY more purchases. Whichever segment comes down in price first wins.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
no, common sense tells me people will buy the HDDs even though they cost more. Most people will buy a 250GB HDD for $100 over a 64GB SSD for the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.