Intel Ships 100 Million Atom CPUs in Three Years

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
[citation][nom]BSMonitor[/nom]Unfortunately for AMD, it takes 3 years to catch up, and by that time the market has passed them by. The netbook market is cooling off. NO ONE is going to replace a net book that gets better "APU" performance. The point of a net book is to type and send emails. Better GPU performance only means more time spent looking for outlets in the airport.[/citation]

Umm... My E350 netbook has better batter life AND better performance than my buddy's Atom netbook. Get your facts straight- the performance/watt on the AMD APUs thus far is excellent.

w3k3m

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]You are 100% correct sir, as AMD no longer manufactures CPU's it is "finally over" for them. The new game is APU and if you haven't used one of AMD's new chips then you are probably in the 1% nintendork is speaking about. I was blown away by the performance of the C50 chip compared to current generation Atom cpu's[/citation]

GPU performance on a netbook ?!? Great, instead of 0.1 FPS you are going to get 0.3 FPS with Crysis. Well, that's like elephant talking about bicycle performance. Even if one bicycle is faster, how is elephant going to ride a bicycle ?

[citation][nom]GeekApproved[/nom]Wow, 100 million idiots out there with underpowered, slow devices.[/citation]
When it is all you need, it's all you need.

When I am traveling, my Atom powered Samsung netbook is all I need. When I am at my house, I have 3 personal OC'd desktops, 2 company desktops, a personal 15.6" Dell laptop, and a 17" company laptop.

When I am traveling on vacation, I have access to full sized computers at the houses of all my relatives.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
[citation][nom]w3k3m[/nom]GPU performance on a netbook ?!? Great, instead of 0.1 FPS you are going to get 0.3 FPS with Crysis. Well, that's like elephant talking about bicycle performance. Even if one bicycle is faster, how is elephant going to ride a bicycle ?[/citation]

Being able to push 1080p video flawlessly while traveling is pretty sweet. And hey- I can even play Starcraft 2 on my netbook. I'm not sure you could do that with your typical atom netbook.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I find it amazing that people don't understand that there is a market niche for the Atom based computers. My netbook doesn't replace my tablet. It does not replace my smartphone, nor my desktop. But it has a place, and it is where students and mobile small business professionals fall.

I can't wait to upgrade to a good AMD Fusion when they come to the form-factor I want (hopefully sooner rather than later). A nice 10.1" 720P netbook that CAN do 3d with 8 hrs of battery life or more would be fantastic for my needs.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]flyinfinni[/nom]Umm... My E350 netbook has better batter life AND better performance than my buddy's Atom netbook. Get your facts straight- the performance/watt on the AMD APUs thus far is excellent.[/citation]
Compared to an dual-core Atom machine with an nvidia ion gpu that is. If you are comparing it to an Atom CPU with integrated graphics the Atom might be a tad more efficient.

However, I have an E350 netbook, and I feel that it is EASILY worth sacraficing a little battery life for much better performance. There's no doubt about it - Zacate kicks Intel's ass. Hard.

w3k3m

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
[citation][nom]flyinfinni[/nom]Being able to push 1080p video flawlessly while traveling is pretty sweet. And hey- I can even play Starcraft 2 on my netbook. I'm not sure you could do that with your typical atom netbook.[/citation]

What's the point of 1080p on a small 600p (or 720p) netbook monitor ?
The AMD's CPU-only performance is for most part actually slower then dual core Atoms, and because of GPU, it has higher power consumption (even when idle). This completely defeats the purpose of a netbook. But then again people just love to have useless things, as long it has MORE of a "something".

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]w3k3m[/nom]What's the point of 1080p on a small 600p (or 720p) netbook monitor ?The AMD's CPU-only performance is for most part actually slower then dual core Atoms, and because of GPU, it has higher power consumption (even when idle). This completely defeats the purpose of a netbook. But then again people just love to have useless things, as long it has MORE of a "something".[/citation]

The point is having simple output to a projector or HDTV via HDMI OR for those of us with normal vision, higher density/quality pictures. I am not yet 50. I don't need reading glasses. I would LOVE to have a 720p or 1080p LCD in a proper netbook form factor.

I hope Brazos takes off. The HP dm1z looks mighty fine. If the price comes down to 'netbook levels' (sub $350) I might pick one up to replace my aging eee pc...

w3k3m

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]The point is having simple output to a projector or HDTV via HDMI OR for those of us with normal vision, higher density/quality pictures. I am not yet 50. I don't need reading glasses. I would LOVE to have a 720p or 1080p LCD in a proper netbook form factor.I hope Brazos takes off. The HP dm1z looks mighty fine. If the price comes down to 'netbook levels' (sub $350) I might pick one up to replace my aging eee pc...[/citation]

Netbook for a TV ? I thought a netbook is device for on the go. Current HDTVs have USB ports, can play multitude of video formats directly, besides that most HDTV savvy people already have HTPCs or media players. Very few people would need netbook for something like that.
There is no netbook with 1080p physical resolution monitor (and if it would come out, it would cost an arm and a leg, which again defeats the purpose of a netbook.
The biggest weakness of netbooks is not graphics (since even Brazos is far from notebook performance levels anyway), but CPU-only performance and in that segment AMD has nothing more to offer than Atom.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
AMD’s Brazos has just entered competition with Intel’s Atom this year, so we’ll see who will dominate.
And it’s interesting how long it will take Brazos to hit such a milestone.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
[citation][nom]Nintendork[/nom]99% of unsatisfied customer do to a slow performing cpu.The other 1% just don't realize what slow is.[/citation]
We laugh, but the atom was faster than my desktop pc of 2005!
Aside from that, the atom is not really what's the cause of slowness, but the cheap, crappy harddrives that get delivered on those systems!

My Atom netbook with SSD boots programs and OS much faster than most core2duo or core2quad computers with a harddrive!

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]Compared to an dual-core Atom machine with an nvidia ion gpu that is. If you are comparing it to an Atom CPU with integrated graphics the Atom might be a tad more efficient.However, I have an E350 netbook, and I feel that it is EASILY worth sacraficing a little battery life for much better performance. There's no doubt about it - Zacate kicks Intel's ass. Hard.[/citation]
Compare 4 hours of webbrowsing on an AMD netbook with E350, to more than double on an intel Atom N450!

Status
Not open for further replies.