Intel Shows New Logos, Star Rating System

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I like this system...

I think for computer hardware illiterate people this will make purchases much easier. I think the average Joe doesn’t know the difference between Pentium/Celeron/Core/Core2/Quad/ and they probably have never heard of i7...

G

So will there be 6star and up soon as technology advances, or will the 5star processor of today be a 4 star next month?

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]rbarone69[/nom]lol, I meant gHZ hehe..Granted... But as applications start to use more threads (as they will) the number will mean more. The "or SOMETHING" comment I made means I really dont know what I'm talking about[/citation]

You can't judge a processors by Hz. Some processors do more work in a single cycle than others do. A 3.8 Ghz P4 would get its metaphoric ass butchered by a single i7 920 core, and it's 2.66 Ghz stock.

Clock speed only means anything when comparing processors of a similar family.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]I like this system... I think for computer hardware illiterate people this will make purchases much easier. I think the average Joe doesn’t know the difference between Pentium/Celeron/Core/Core2/Quad/ and they probably have never heard of i7...[/citation]

I am pretty confident that was the logic that spurred this idea grieve.

But if the star system is always relative it looses meaning unless all your marketing is fully updated all the way down to the consumer level with every iteration. Costly and unlikely to happen without gaps and hiccups.

By comparison even if they have a basic numbering system that actually correlates to performance somehow but can scale without constantly reinventing the number system being used then all marketing and processor branding holds despite newer products being released.

Rebranding is pretty expensive. The "stars" model essentially forces rebranding of most of the product lineup at nearly every processor release. AKA its grossly inefficient. The only way it will be useful is if they purely use the star system for reference instead of marketing, aka as an online tool etc. Easily updatable and maintained. I doubt that will be the case however.

G

The full-size chart on Intel's website shows 2-star processors as `dependable and proven`, and 1-star processors as `value and reliability`. Those aren't exactly adjectives I'd associate with 1 or 2-star products.

The ratings fail to take into account the ideal usage of each model. A Celeron would be more of a 3-star processor for web browsing and word processing. An i7 would be too expensive for such menial tasks, and should thus have a lower rating for that demographic (unless you wanted to keep the ratings strictly about performance.)

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
What about the awesomeness of the Pentium D?
You can run your programs decently at a low-efficiency but high-clock rates. :)

You can also use an iron frying pan as your HSF and bacon as your thermal paste... mnnn.

random1283

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2007
guys you just have to realise that this is not for us, it's for your average joe who doesn't know what L2 cache is or intructions per minute. I mean to us this is usless and dumb but to him it is an easy way to tell him what he is getting

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Now, all PC builders are going to use the worst cpu in a family to get the highest (false) star rating... not like they didn't use to do that. All I see in bestbuy and futureshop are q66's and q82's (lowest of c2q's). I think they got overstocked on Phenom 95's and wanna get rid of them, but 1st gen Phenoms are more expensive than q66's lmao. No matter what stepping the q66 is, no one is getting a 1st gen phenom XD

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I forgot to mention in my last post to 'random1283', average computer illiterate people are people that deserve to be scammed tons of money on horrible pc's. That's what drives the industry. If they wanted to get bang for their buck, they should come to a site like tomshardware, like I did. If they wanna be lazy, I say we have all rights to scam them with low end parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.