Intel Shows Off New Thunderbolt 2 Products At NAB 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I see thunderbolt much like firewire both standards were faster than usb standards, but usb had something both standards didn't have that's affordability and compatibility and that's why usb is by far the most universal connection for devices and I don't see any other standard dethrowning usb anytime soon.

hitman400

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I see thunderbolt much like firewire both standards were faster than usb standards, but usb had something both standards didn't have that's affordability and compatibility and that's why usb is by far the most universal connection for devices and I don't see any other standard dethrowning usb anytime soon.

It is more expensive because it is faster. It is a no brainer, more speed=more money. It is there as a premium. Eventually, USB will become obsolete if companies start to realize potential just like they are starting to with Apple's USB-C. But for now, USB 3.0 is the standard like you mention.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
It is more expensive because it is faster. It is a no brainer, more speed=more money. It is there as a premium. Eventually, USB will become obsolete if companies start to realize potential just like they are starting to with Apple's USB-C. But for now, USB 3.0 is the standard like you mention.
Faster (and thus more expensive) doesn't cause a technology to become a de facto standard. Cheap and "good enough" do. That's why USB won out. Thunderbolt would be more comparable to DisplayPort in the video port race and USB is akin to VGA: the port that just doesn't die.
And no, it's not "Apple's" USB-C by any stretch of the imagination.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
USB 3.0 is already faster than any sata ssd hard drive on your computer, so any peripheral device that accesses your hard drive is of no benifit. That's about 99.9% of devices. So that pretty much leaves video, but display port is capable of a higher bit rate. I fail to see any usefulness of thunderbolt. Additionally, I automatically despise anything that gets its name from a boardroom and focus groups.

cia1413

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2012
USB3 is not faster than new ssds. Also, even though the spec for usb3 is 5gbps its never that fast in the real world. As far as the usefulness of thunderbolt, I use thunderbolt devices all the time for video production stuff. I know that that is a very niche market but i love the ability to easily connect what would have been a pcie card when i need it. P.S. i use them on a asus laptop, I hate that you CANT use add in cards on the new mac pro.

I'm ignorant; please educate me. Do you need to buy a graphics card with a Thunderbolt connector, or does it loop back into the motherboard and go out the motherboard's connector with, possibly, storage added on? Or what?

lahma

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
LOL @ "Apple's USB-C". If Apple had anything to do with the creation of USB-C, it would neither be affordable, compatible with other platforms, or backwards compatible. The argument that "expensive is faster" is a ridiculous oversimplification of the matter. In the tech world, there are always trade-offs between competing technologies, and price is only one of the many factors. The trade-offs the USB standard make allow us to have scores of USB cables laying around our homes, vehicles, and offices. You would go broke trying to have as many Thunderbolt cables. I thank God Apple has nothing to do with the USB standard...

mrmez

Splendid
Real world sustained USB 3.0 hits about 110MB/s. Far from the claimed top.
Most SSDs today are at least rated on paper ~500MB/s.

There are plenty of devices and applications calling for far more than 110Mb/s

Status
Not open for further replies.