Intel Skylake-X, Kaby Lake-X Leaks Vs AMD ThreadRipper 'TBD': Fun Summer Ahead

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

According to the table both i7s will only support dual channel memory. The 7740K and 7640k seem to be identical to the 7700k/7600k except for slightly higher base clocks and the fact that they're on a HEDT platform.

Tim K

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013

I think that's exactly what it is. For someone buying a new system once KB-X is out, they can either go 1151 and max out at a dead-end with the 7700K, or go 2066/7740K and have a similar (barely better) system that has a clear upgrade path. Honestly, I'm not sure how many people that will apply to, but that's the only reason I can imagine.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I agree with this, mostly. I was mystified when I first saw rumors of Kaby Lake-X being nearly identical to i7-7700K.

However, you're forgetting one thing: overclocking. Traditionally, the Socket-2011 CPUs have a soldered IHS. This might create a bit more overclocking headroom, especially for those too timid to de-lid or use direct-die waterblock cooling (both of which are a pretty small minority of i7-77xxK buyers).

Yes but its pretty lame Intel didn't just solder the "K" series CPU lids to start with. Now you have to pay a premium for something that should have been done in the first place. At least AMD soldered all there Ryzen cpu lids thank goodness.

ah

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
Well, right now the 6950X is on sale for only A$1399, about US$1000...Only 3 remaining, mind u:)

Status
Not open for further replies.