Intel Slurps Up Altera Stratix 10 FPGA, HBM, ARM, SoC Alphabet Soup

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
In the first diagram, EMIB is Embedded Multi-die Interconnect Bridge. SDM is their Secure Device Manager block. HPS stands for Hard Processor System, which refers to the quad-core ARM block shown in the second diagram. I still don't know how the HBM is connected, but maybe it's just attached to the fabric, so you can decide how you want to use it.

Also, they claim 80 GFLOPS per Watt! Compare that to Nvidia's Pascal P100, which gets only 35 GFLOPS per Watt. That's close to an apples-to-apples comparison, as both have HBM2. But even the GP102 (the new Titan X GPU), only gets about 44 GFLOPS per Watts. Until I saw that, I wasn't particularly impressed.

You can read more, here:

https://www.altera.com/products/fpga/stratix-series/stratix-10/overview.html

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I think you're trying to be poetic, but it fails to impress if your comments are incoherent.

Jason_V

Commendable
Oct 13, 2016
The ARM core shouldn't be surprising as that's been the embedded FPGA processor of choice for a long time and it was in-plan prior to the Intel acquisition.

Intel is expanding their moat. It'll be interesting to see if it's FPGA's time in the sun and how Intel will use them or make them available to their customers. Also, what will these devices cost? A 5.5 million element FPGA is not a cheap piece of silicon.

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
PATLMMM - Could you possibly add some more spelling and grammatical errors to your posts? Your posts come across very trollish and are so badly written it really diminishes you and whatever your agenda is. Considering these chips are multiple orders of magnitude faster and more efficient over the last 10 years I think describing the industry as needing to mature dramatically (and comparing their efforts to a 'fungus') is not supported by the facts. Reading your posts making me embarrassed for you.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Don't be. I think he's not a troll, but also not serious. Every time one of his posts starts to make sense, there's something stuck in there to completely derail it.

I think he could find a better community, elsewhere. I'm sure there are others who'd appreciate his posts more than we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.