[SOLVED] Intel Solid State Drive (SSD) or Samsung SSD 860 EVO

Matt_ogu812

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
Hello,
In the process of picking parts for a system build.
Which is the better option for an SSD
1 TB Storage:
-Samsung 970 EVO SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology (MZ-V7E1T0BW), Black/Red $170

-Intel Solid State Drive (SSD), 660P Series, 1 TB
Form Factor: M.2 22 x 80 millimeter
Interface: PCI Express NVMe 3.0 x4
$119.00

Many Thanks!

Solution
Yeah, unless you're frequently loading very large files in photoshop (in which case drive speed may be noticeable), I'd just get whatever is cheaper. But if you want to spring for the 970 EVO it's certainly a very good drive, just doesn't seem worth the extra money in my opinion.
I have a Samsung SSD myself, but this one seems to be getting alot of attention right now.
adata-xpg-ssd-1.jpg

Last edited:

Matt_ogu812

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
Photoshop, email, web browsing, MS Office and games would be occasionally.
I'm looking at Samsung EVO 1TD possibly Pro.
Thank U for insight that I would not notice a difference between one SSD and another.

Many thanks!

TJ Hooker.......ICONIC in his time and enduring legacy.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, unless you're frequently loading very large files in photoshop (in which case drive speed may be noticeable), I'd just get whatever is cheaper. But if you want to spring for the 970 EVO it's certainly a very good drive, just doesn't seem worth the extra money in my opinion.

Solution

Matt_ogu812

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017
Agree with your take on large files in Photoshop. That said it doesn't mean I haven't taken my eyes off the prices as new competitors jump in the race.
I don't see a need at the present to go the way of bleeding nose edge parts. At some point it does become pointless especially given that my last build was many years ago. So any improvement over a 6600 (a very good OC chip) cpu will be a Starship (speed & power) for me.

Reactions: TJ Hooker