Intel SSD 310 80 GB: Little Notebooks Get Big Storage Flexibility

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowmaster625

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007

Just the act of copying 25GB over to a netbook would drive me crazy. Even if you could tell the difference between 25GB and a 2GB "practical" encoding on a home theater screen, you'd never be able to see that difference on a netbook LCD. I have only 16GB of free space on my SSD, and it has been more than enough to store 30 hours of video and 100 hours of audio. I would never waste 25GB on 2 hours of video, but even if I did I would just run a batch recode the night before I go.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
There are four possible storage configurations that you should keep in mind with an mSATA drive.

1. SSD + HDD: OS on SSD, programs installed on HDD
2. HDD + SSD: OS on HDD, programs installed on SSD
3. SSD: OS and applications installed to SSD
4. HDD: OS and applications installed on HDD
With 1. why would I need to install programs on a HDD? Windows 7 x64 is under 15 GB, I believe, so there's plenty of room for other programs.
It should be more like:
1. SSD + HDD: OS and programs installed on SSD, media and disk images on HDD

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]My Steam folder alone is 437GB. I have another 100GB+ on non steam games also. Then add my OS and etc.I currently enjoy the faster speeds of 4x500 RAID 0 with the OS on a 1TB. I would actually be running 8x500GB RAID 0 if my case was large enough, and my graphics card weren't so large (blocks 2 slots).How does Toms feel about doing a showdown between $500 of modern HDD vs $500 of modern SSD? With and without a dedicated controller.[/citation]

Travis gets my vote as the first real man here 4xRaid0. Im falling asleep over you trying to put everything on a single 30 or 60G SSD.

cyrusfox

Distinguished
Question, Where can we get an mSata interposer card or an adapter for this device. I mean its great to have it in your laptop, but what if you want to interface it with your desktop. Did anyone make a retail adapter when Toshiba and Samsung where using this format? I have done some searches, but searching msata brings up a smaller more compact 1.8" sata standard. Not the 52 pin receptacle needed by this device, http://download.intel.com/design/flash/nand/324042.pdf (see page 11)

I know Lenovo is bringing out lots of laptops that will support this, but does anyone know if the new Thinkpad X120e will support this? I guess I'll find out, but I would like to hedge my bet with the adapter, that way I can at least use the device for something if it is incompatible. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS