Intel SSD 540s Review - Our First Look At The SM2258

Status
Not open for further replies.

joz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Was the OCZ Trion 150 and Mushkin Reactor always that good? While they aren't the Evo, they seem to be performing quite well.

boller

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014
Guys, you've misread "native TLC transfer performance" as being 135MB/s. In fact it's even worse - about 125 MB/s (from eyeballing the graph).
135MB/s is average speed which includes SLC bump in it's calculation.
But it does not change the conclusion, of course: this drive is POS.

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Pricing on amazon is high, well at least it is if you live near a microcenter. If you order from microcenter the 480gb is priced at $120, which is $10 more than the trion 150 which $110 at microcenter and is $120 on amazon. I'd say that at it's a fair price considering Intel's reputation for reliability and well Intel's branding. For reference the 850 evo is $158 on amazon and $150 at microcenter. Not saying that it's a good drive, but to an average person price and reliability are going to matter more than the fact that it slightly slower than some other drives.

dreamer2908

Commendable
May 31, 2016

Well, Mushkin Reactor uses the same controller (SM2246EN) and NAND (Micron 16nm MLC) as Crucial BX100 does.
The discontinued BX100 performed quite well, so the Reactor should also do.

Cyberats

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015
Wow, Mushkin Reactor is my surprise in this survey, stable on all fronts where even Samsung Evo is wavering and it's a full 512gb of space or is it a typo ?

I would have liked to see the SK Hynix model in the mix the price on those is good and the performance according to my customers is also very good. The specs look better then the Samsung's on the read and worse on the write; I just wish they offered a 1TB version.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
C.R., I thought toms was going to stop using graphs with non-zero origins? The sequential read and notebook battery life graphs are visually misleading. There's no point using a graph if its visual appearance does not convey data difference.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

I knew it, MS' fault. :) Is it possible to edit the graphs to normality?

Btw, why do you think Intel has included a 120GB model? I had the impression from recent aticles that the industry was finally going to dump them this year (long past time).

Lsi

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
Which firmware version was tested in this review, the stock version from the label or the latest released in early August?

Status
Not open for further replies.