Intel Stuffing More Than 8 Cores Into Westmere-EX

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Impressive and all, but is there really a large demand for for a 12 core chip? Or will Intel continue to rely on Dell & Best Buy to convince consumers they need multiple cores to multitask explorer and outlook?

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Norwood06[/nom]Impressive and all, but is there really a large demand for for a 12 core chip? Or will Intel continue to rely on Dell & Best Buy to convince consumers they need multiple cores to multitask explorer and outlook?[/citation]

Would be awesome if those 12-core chips were in the $400 range. Then it would be doable to stuff two of them on a workstation motherboard without breaking the bank too much.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Norwood06[/nom]Impressive and all, but is there really a large demand for for a 12 core chip? Or will Intel continue to rely on Dell & Best Buy to convince consumers they need multiple cores to multitask explorer and outlook?[/citation]

These are server chips right now. I don't think you will see to many of these at best buy.

mx348

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
12 Core chips are defiantly needed in the server market. Hyper-V, XenServer and VMWare will allow you to further consolidate server infrastructure.

scott_madison1

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Norwood06 :
Impressive and all, but is there really a large demand for for a 12 core chip? Or will Intel continue to rely on Dell & Best Buy to convince consumers they need multiple cores to multitask explorer and outlook?

thackstonns:
These are server chips right now. I don't think you will see to many of these at best buy.

It's truly amazing how people can miss the point so badly isn't it? But on another note. Your saying you don't buy your servers from best buy?

pooflinger1

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

Seeing as how these are Xeon CPU's, I would say there is HUGE demand. If you can fit 12 cores in a single socket that used to house 4, or even 8, then you can drastically increase the capicity of your servers without drastically increasing the power consumption or rack space needed.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Intel is falling behind amd has quad 12 core socket boards already out you can buy them and they are going to have a 16 core out in about 11 months.
They also have single socket that is affordable board is $500, 12 core is $1200.
I plan on building one for 3d animation rendering station this summer.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Server chip! SERVER CHIP!!

It's the third word in the article, and it's double underlined.

I suggest the following strategy when making a comment: Read the article (or at least the first paragraph) (or at least the first sentence!) (or at least the beginning of the first sentence!!)

People read the comments to find out additional information, not to see how bad your reading comprehension is...

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
[citation][nom]pooflinger1[/nom]Seeing as how these are Xeon CPU's, I would say there is HUGE demand. If you can fit 12 cores in a single socket that used to house 4, or even 8, then you can drastically increase the capicity of your servers without drastically increasing the power consumption or rack space needed.[/citation]

Power savings is nice, and as mentioned, the real use of these chips would be in server virtualization, and CPU-intensive task. I see the biggest advantage to this in the per-socket pricing (VMware being one) that you could save - at a few grand per socket, stuffing 12 cores on a CPU could be very nice.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]Server chip! SERVER CHIP!! It's the third word in the article, and it's double underlined. [/citation]

While I personally know these are server chips and what they're used for, just wanted to say... Not double underlined on my computer. Not underlined at all. That's probably some randomly generated ad thing on your computer.

ErrolDC

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
let's not forget that businesses are not moving towards or expanding their virtualization foot print substantially and aggressively. with most hyper-visors being licensed by the cpu socket, these types of cpus are where it's at.

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]mx348[/nom]12 Core chips are defiantly needed in the server market. Hyper-V, XenServer and VMWare will allow you to further consolidate server infrastructure.[/citation]
Our XenServer and VmWare servers need memory not cpu cores...I wish memory was cheaper...We can afford the dual 4 core CPUs but only 32 gig of ram...The CPUs barely click while ram gets eaten away.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]While I personally know these are server chips and what they're used for, just wanted to say... Not double underlined on my computer. Not underlined at all. That's probably some randomly generated ad thing on your computer.[/citation]
It's double underlined on both IE and Opera, on two different machines, on my end.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]ErrolDC[/nom]let's not forget that businesses are not moving towards or expanding their virtualization foot print substantially and aggressively. with most hyper-visors being licensed by the cpu socket, these types of cpus are where it's at.[/citation]
Exactly. This little ah heck being socket compatible with my existing nahelem xeons is going to make upgrading my VMWare cluster a real easy task, while adding over double the cpu count without the need of additional VMWare licenses. It wont matter how much this CPU is, if the clusters load continues to go the way it is, i'll upgrade them to this cpu even if they are 2500 a pop.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
How can people bash this? They are making improvements. That's all that matters. AMD is making a chip with more cores you say? Who cares... it'll get left in the dust like they have been. Their acquisition of ATI is the only thing saving their asses right now.

Do you even know what the word "server" means?

pdbigt357

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Can someone please do a piece on parallel processing and its future? Why can't anyone else see that this is a waste of money to continue to through cores together. The technology in multi-core processors doesn't appear to be improving much, only the company's ability to put them on the same die.

gfg

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2005
not long ago with 24 cores (4 sockets) xeon 7400 series was impressive.
now in the near future 24 logical cores on a single processor, again Wou!

mapesdhs

Distinguished
For servers, there will always be a demand for more cores. Look
at SGI's Altix UV series which already supports up to 2048 cores
and 16TB RAM in a single system (256 x 8-core XEON 7500 series
CPUs, ie. the Altix UV 1000). They plan to expand this to 32768
CPUs (more than a quarter of a million cores) in future
products.

The low-end UV 10 is a quad-socket system supporting 32 cores
(4 CPUs) and 512GB RAM, which can then be clustered if required.
The mid-range UV 100 offers 768 cores and 6TB RAM. See:

http://www.sgi.com/products/servers/altix/uv/index.html
http://www.sgi.com/products/servers/altix/uv/specs.html
http://www.sgi.com/products/servers/altix/uv/specs_uv10.html

There are other vendors with quad-socket products, eg. the
Dell R810 and R9xx, but SGI clearly has a demand for systems
with very large numbers of cores single system image, something
which can only be enhanced by having products with more cores
per CPU. There are numerous defense, bio/pharma, geoscience and
other applications which benefit from these improvements.

Ian.

Railgun1369

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Improvements in performance is always a good thing. If developers are writing big apps that can scale across that many cores, then that's all the better. But to those who are saying consolidation of HW is the main benefit, you have to be a little careful. You only want to go to a certain point as single points of failure become a huge concern. You wouldn't want to lose 50% of your environment as an example. Maybe not even 25% (which is usually a good rule of thumb).

Status
Not open for further replies.