Intel Sued Over Atom Power Management Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

They can now sue for an idea? Can't more than one person share the same idea. It's not like Intel is using their technology.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Doesn't speedstep require the OS to support it? So the OS monitors cpu usage, and activates the proper power state. (just changing the cpu speed on the fly). The CPU/BIOS has pre-programmed processor states and usage data.

If the OS doesn't support the powermanagement features, they are not activated. So in a way it requires software. So its not like the cpu throttles itself.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I'm sorry, if the patent shows a design of exactly how the "apparatus" works to cut down on energy usage and the companies used it, then give it to them; if it's just some general idea about power management with some apparatus, SCREW THEM.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Maybe they can sue manufacturers of 10 speed bikes. You have the same power source, but you ratchet your speed up and down with the gears...

tajisi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Another case of patent trolling. Why bother having an idea when you can just buy up ideas from others and sue a decade down the road?

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]hannibal[/nom]So it is illegal to save electricity if you don't pay royalties... Nice... This patent system is so broken...[/citation]
100 percent agreed. In the early years of airplanes, the government asked Boeing and the Wright Brothers to play nice with each other and stop suing each other. It is my understanding that the Wright Brothers insistence on suing competitors hurt their business rather than helping it. This is, perhaps, part of the reason there is no "Wright Brothers Aircraft" company that exists today. It is unfortunate that there is no better means to protect the right to make an income from an idea.
[citation][nom]rotsae[/nom]They can now sue for an idea? Can't more than one person share the same idea. It's not like Intel is using their technology.[/citation]
That is what a patent is. It is considered the right to sue anyone or any entity when they use your patented idea without your permission. I am not a patent lawyer, however, if the patent is valid, and it will almost certainly be challenged in this case, it sounds broad enough where those being sued would have to pay.

timaeus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]That is what a patent is. It is considered the right to sue anyone or any entity when they use your patented idea without your permission. [/citation]
Err, not exactly. The patent is basically showing that you "own" the idea for a certain period of time, and if someone else wishes to use your idea, then they have to pay you to do so. Lawsuits come in if that licensing does not happen.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
The patent system is broken. The general grab all patents are rubbish. A patent should only be granted if you can prove you are actually going to manufacture the said patent within 90 days, if not it should be null and void.

Ogdin

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
They need to take all the people responsible for the current patent system,put them in a line in front of open pit and let the bullets fly.Then maybe on the next batch they could do the same to all the lawyers that make a living off these pointless suits.

JamesT5192

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
"power management apparatus collocated on the same integrated circuit as the functional unit that it manages."

They own the patent for a switch and they're suing Intel? Sorry, the programing code is not an apparatus. NEXT!!!

deanjo

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
[citation][nom]flclkun[/nom]Intel will win, and crush the shit out of these redneck-trash tards.[/citation]

Intel winning a lawsuit? Now that would be something new...

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
why the patent infringements complaints are now filed more than 10 years after Intel introduced this technology in its products.

Because it is a popular thing to do nowadays. If this keeps up, creative thought will be no more (unless you can afford it).

ucther

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
The current patent system is mostly great. It promotes innovation and creativity
I have patents. I am constantly trying to find better ways to do things that I patent with no intention of going to my garage and making things. I make money selling my ideas to companies. If I could not patent my ideas then anyone that I try to sell my ideas to could simply steal them and all my time and creativity would be wasted.
It has never happened to me but I have associates that have tried to sell their ideas and the company stole the idea and said that to get royalties he would have to sue them and spend $10 million in lawyer fees so it just was not worth the effort.

It is illegal using of patented ideas that is killing innovation. All of us that are trying to constantly improve things will stop if there in no monetary benefit for our ideas.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]junixophobia[/nom]no wonder there is more and more lawyer than engineer in US...[/citation]

The legal costs to even consider a new product prohibits the smaller sized companies to do so, no wonder the US ecconomy/politics looks like it does when soon only a handfull huge companys will remain when the rest is crushed in legal battles rather than innovation and superior products.

Ogdin

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
How is a system that allows companies to patent vague ideas then do nothing with them mostly great? Waiting in the wings until someone actually comes up with a good idea/starts making money off it,then dusting off some moldy patent that is vaguely similar and then launching the attack lawyers. Ya that doesn't stifle innovation at all......
Its great ideas like that that allow parasitic companies like Rambus to exist.

ucther

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
A system that stifles patents stifles innovation. A lot of the marginal patents turn out to be good patents. If you kill all marginal patents then you will kill many good ideas as well as those poor ones used by patent trolls. This reminds me of the teacher that punishes the whole class for one person offenses.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
There was no information how that patent found its way to Power Management Systems and why the patent infringements complaints are now filed more than 10 years after Intel introduced this technology in its products
I can't answer the first part, but the second is pretty obvious : there's no money to be made if you sue for damage the moment someone infringe on your patent instead of waiting so the other company makes buttloads of money!

Those patents suits were sad 2 years ago. Now it's beyond pathetic.

[citation][nom]flclkun[/nom]Intel will win, and crush the shit out of these redneck-trash tards.[/citation]

Um those same "rednecks" have multiple companies on which you buy products from and have helped push computer technology to new heights, such as Texas Insturments.

As for the lawsuit, then that means they should also sue AMD for Cool 'N' Quiet since it does the exact same thing as Speedstep.

And only targeting Atom? Love it. Its obvious the patent will be meaningless and Intel will win.

[citation][nom]GeekApproved[/nom]Why does big Intel have to steal all it's ideas from small companies? This is like the 10th time since 2006 that Intel has been sued for patent infringement, what a joke.[/citation]

As said above, they would also have to sue AMD since their power management feature does the same thing. I doubt Intel or AMD stole the idea, its been a feature in CPUs for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.