News Intel Takes iGPU Driver Shortcut for Arc Gaming GPUs, Crashes Into Ditch

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
Well, you can't sell what you don't have. At least not for long.

"Intel Arc A5 and A7 desktop cards will start to ship in Q3."

Right, that means they should be going out the door now or very soon, which also doesn't seem to be happening.

I'm not sure how late one can be to this party, but it looks like it is so close to being over.

Again, if I needed a decent card right now I sure would not wait on intel. There are boatloads of GPUs out there for a great price, with drivers that are actually very good(the 6600 is still in a really sweet spot for the price, and sketchy AMD drivers are long in the past).

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
If this article includes what Intel thinks discrete GPU drivers are supposed to be, then Intel is going to be a long, long time in offering any mainstream GPU competition. First, unified drivers are not a single driver to cover all your GPUs released "in the last eight years." A unified driver is a single package continuing multiple drivers for your various released hardware! Gelsinger is almost unintelligible here.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
If this article includes what Intel thinks discrete GPU drivers are supposed to be, then Intel is going to be a long, long time in offering any mainstream GPU competition. First, unified drivers are not a single driver to cover all your GPUs released "in the last eight years." A unified driver is a single package continuing multiple drivers for your various released hardware! Gelsinger is almost unintelligible here.

That stuck out to me as well! I hope they are not building one monolithic driver, if they are, they are in for a very long a frustrating road!!

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
shocking. Everyone who has a slightly grasp of the GPU industry knew of AMD's, and Nvidia's driver problems in the past. It is not a walk in the park. I really wished Intel shipped the graphics cards as crypto mining cards in 2021 with basic/almost broken drivers so that it gets bought by miners. It is all too late now. I don't need even want to buy 3000, 6000 cards in the future, just being salty they were too expensive from 2020-2022.

Reactions: systemBuilder_49

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
This comes as no surprise at all. Even someone like me who knows little about software is not expecting their existing driver to propel Intel dGPU to the same level as AMD and Nvidia. Again, it’s not the hardware that is the biggest hurdle because big companies like Intel, Apple, etc, have the resources to deliver great hardware. Yet why is Apple not gaining traction in their foray into gaming? Isn’t it software support? And for Intel it’s both game support and driver. And to be brutally honest, existing UHD driver is as basic as it gets because the iGPUs were never meant for gaming only until recently with the introduction of XE iGPUs. Still I won’t consider it gaming grade.

systemBuilder_49

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
This is an area where Intel has invested $0 since 2013! Since Iris Pro 5200 their GPUs have not gotten better but the marketing department - stuffed with suits - did a bang-up job inventing new marketing names for the same old <Mod Edit> for 8Y straight!

Intel is a hardware company they hate software it's really not important to them! In fact Intel sees itself as a great chemistry company (vlsi process tech) and CPU hardware is less important to them than the chemistry!

Under these circumstances going to work for Intel on GPU drivers would make you third fiddle in a company that is going downhill fast!

You'd have to be a fool....

And it shows....

Last edited by a moderator:
Intel is a hardware company they hate software it's really not important to them!
Yup, checks out!
oneAPI
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/tools/oneapi/overview.html#gs.7a4ra0
Intel C compiler freeware since forever
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/tools/oneapi/dpc-compiler.html#gs.7a98ro
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/software/software-partnerships.html