News Intel Takes Shots at AMD Laptop Battery Performance, Nothing on Apple M1

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Not hard to do when OEMs put small batteries in their devices. Come on Tom’s, why even bother posting this? You know it’s not true lol.
This isn't about battery life, it's about system performance when running on battery. Intel TL systems tend to see much less of a performance drop when shifting to battery power vs AMD. This has been verified by third party testers.

https://infogram.com/1prl7qndnng559agyype77m32kbm75pvgwq

Neilbob

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
And every Intel CPU there has more or less half the core/threads (and about half the performance) of their AMD equivalents*. Yes, that's very much an apples to apples comparison.

Good job Intel marketing.

*When looking at multi-threaded of course

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Did these Intel systems have all spectre, meltdown, fallout, zombieload, MDS, ...... , and ME mitigations installed?

I'd like to see system vendors put AMD products in more premium mobile devices. Most systems with AMD are still budget-oriented and unappealing for serious work. A lot of that performance gap could probably be closed just by having better-designed AMD mobile systems. I do like this intensifying competition between AMD and Intel in the mobile space. Hopefully that means I'll be able to get a nicer system once it's time to replace my aging 2-in-1.

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Poor old Intel--grasping at straws, again. Running the laptop CPU 100% on battery when the tasks would run just as well at 75% CPU employment would be fairly dumb and eat up battery power uselessly. As if Intel doesn't do exactly the same thing--it would be stupid not to. I guess Intel thinks no one plugs his laptop into a wall socket on a regular basis....! Intel, btw, will not be mentioning M1 anytime soon...right now, Intel is more concerned with AMD--and it took Intel years before the company would even admit AMD was a competitor.

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Intel, btw, will not be mentioning M1 anytime soon...right now, Intel is more concerned with AMD--and it took Intel years before the company would even admit AMD was a competitor.
Imagine what would happen to Intel (and AMD) if Apple ever figured out how to get its new CPUs supported by Microsoft (using Apples advanced x86-64 emulation techniques). (me imagines secret meetings already taking place).

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Intel, btw, will not be mentioning M1 anytime soon...right now, Intel is more concerned with AMD--and it took Intel years before the company would even admit AMD was a competitor.
Why would Intel bother? They aren't competing against Apple. People buying Apple are either buying into the ecosystem or buying the logo. None of their customers care what CPU is in the system.

Reactions: artk2219

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I am not sure about TGL, but my experience with Intel mobile chips running on battery is no better. They certainly don't run anywhere near the full speed they advertised. Throttling CPU on battery is not something new. When you are running on battery, the priority is generally on preserving battery without losing too much performance.

Reactions: mikeinjbay

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Why would Intel bother? They aren't competing against Apple. People buying Apple are either buying into the ecosystem or buying the logo. None of their customers care what CPU is in the system.
Agree with this one, too. I thought it was kind of weird, actually, for Tom's to even mention M1...;) I wasn't in any way defending Apple. I'm sure that AMD will ignore M1, too!

artk2219

Distinguished

I agree, Apple will NEVER sell that chip to anyone else, it will only be available in Apple devices, in the Apple ecosystem, under Apple lock and key. Frankly i think it only serves to prove whats possible if you actually put the resources into building a semi decent ARM based chip, you get a reasonably powerful and efficient SOC at a moderate cost. We could end up with more chips like that from other manufacturers in the future, which would be awesome, and a much more direct threat to AMD and Intel. So long as Nvidia doesn't pull an Nvidia and cock up ARM for everybody else that is.

I agree, Apple will NEVER sell that chip to anyone else, it will only be available in Apple devices, in the Apple ecosystem, under Apple lock and key. Frankly i think it only serves to prove whats possible if you actually put the resources into building a semi decent ARM based chip, you get a reasonably powerful and efficient SOC at a moderate cost. We could end up with more chips like that from other manufacturers in the future, which would be awesome, and a much more direct threat to AMD and Intel. So long as Nvidia doesn't pull an Nvidia and cock up ARM for everybody else that is.
It would only become a thread if it could run at least a very big part of the x86 software library and to do that it would have to include at least a very big part of the x86 architecture which would make it pointless because it would have the same pros and cons only be weaker because of the huge head start that intel and AMD have.

mikeinjbay

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
I am not sure about TGL, but my experience with Intel mobile chips running on battery is no better. They certainly don't run anywhere near the full speed they advertised. Throttling CPU on battery is not something new. When you are running on battery, the priority is generally on preserving battery without losing too much performance.
Exactly my experience. My i7-8750H 6 core on Dell G5 will more than halve performance on battery as the total PKG power is configured down by Dell to not exceed 15w. In fact I have to use throttle stop to undervolt it in order to get clocks up to almost 2Ghz. It's ridiculous on battery, and the integrated gpu also slows down so dramatically, editing cell values in Excel is so slow it makes me feel like a retard.

GetSmart

Commendable
Jun 17, 2019
Michael at Phoronix tests out Intel's claims https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=tiger-renoir-battery&num=1 :geek:

Especially when the battery is freshly charged or at greater than 50% charge. :vip:
80pctVs50pctVsAC.png

Almost as fast with AC charger when battery charge at 80%. :unsure:

Nov 26, 2020
Intel seems right unfortunately as this is something I experienced myself as well, with both an S540-13ARE (4800u) and my current Slim 7 (4800u).

On battery performance drops to about 60%, cinebench is the only one that shows proper performance while all others (geekbench 4 and 5, pcmark 8 and 10, performancetest 10) show much degraded performance. Was reason for me to send back my S540 and now also likely for sending back the Slim 7.

And no, changing power modes, battery settings, power options doesn't help.