News Intel Teases 5-bit PLC Flash, Introduces SSD 670p and Optane Memory H20

cyrusfox

Distinguished
You have one of your facts mistaken,
Both the 670p and the H20 use Intel's 144-Layer flash that it fabricates with Micron
Intel does not manufacturer NAND with Micron anymore and hasn't since 96L(perhaps they are still purchasing wafers from those codeveloped generations).
Intel is the only NAND player to use the unique layer count of 144L.

Micron went from 96L to 128(Switched to Replacement gate from floating gate), and now they are on 176L.
On the optane side front, for the H20, I do believe that is sourced from Micron and their old partnership.

5 bit cell is fascinating to think about, 32 Separate electrical charge states. NAND is continuing to find ways to scale.

I don't get the artifical segmentation for the H20 (Why only new platforms that aren't released on the desktop space). If the H10 works with the platform(PCIE bifurcation support) I see no reason why the H20 similiary can't be enabled. They would get so much more market adoptation if they made it easier to add to a platform as well, the H10 right now can be found on ebay the 512/32GB model for $50-70, but it is very hit or miss to get it working on the desktop. From what I can tell all Z490 boards can support it, and from the 300 series boards it was much more a matter of vendor bios support for the bifuraction.