Intel Threat Detection Technology Uses GPU To Speed Up Antivirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

wownwow

Commendable
Aug 30, 2017
Intel's putting security first doesn't mean much until it admits that its not following the privilege levels defined by itself is a design bug/overlook.

What is the point of the fancy telemetry stuff if the company couldn’t even simply follow what was defined by itself and has been insisting that it's intended, not a bug?

Can “Intel Threat Detection Technology” detect its not following what is defined by itself?

stdragon

Admirable
BitDefender is already multi-threaded, multiple concurrent scans going on. It's also blazingly fast.

I'm not sure how they do it, but if I had to guess, they perform an MD5 hash against every file, then go back and do a SHA1 or SHA256 hash to confirm no false-positives. In any case, I don't see the need for offloading this to the GPU

Druidsmark

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
I use Kapersky Internet Security which is good and just moving my games library over to a 1 terabyte ssd has all ready gained me a big performance boost as my virus scanner all runs much faster now. Will be moving my operating system over to a 250 gigabyte ssd on April 25 to replace the hard drive running my operating system in my computer. So should once again see my virus scanner run even better then it does once I have finished. Just switching from a hdd to a ssd is all I needed to do to improve and make my virus scanner run much faster and better.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

A Skylake i7 has 8 threads on 4 cores. The iGPU on the same chip has 168 threads on 24 cores. They run at a lower clock speed and each have fewer IPCs, but if the iGPU was otherwise sitting idle then it's a win.

This is probably an area where Intel's iGPUs have the advantage over AMDs, which have only up to 11 cores. It really depends on how much of this is using scalar instructions & control flow vs. vector operations.

If you read the article, they're talking about scanning running processes in memory - not scanning your files.

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
How about Intel actually fixes their shit on their own instead of dumping in on 3rd party hardware and software?
They made flawed CPUs and now they want to fix it by.... using each user GPU and then making AV companies implement new feature to do so.
So now the "my CPU is being constantly used by AV" will turn into "my CPU and GPU are hogged by AV".

Xajel

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
Good indeed, at least now people with dGPU will find some use to the CPU iGPU rather than a wasted silicon.

But I hope it will become open standard, as it will be hard for a lot of people to jump to other AV software.. you know Windows defender will be disabled once an alternate AV software is used, plus Maybe other hardware companies can take it and improve it also, AMD & NV might have some interesting contribution rather than making it closed..

milkod2001

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Most CPUs are on idle most of the times. Would not it be better to leave it as before instead to put more pressure on GPUs, especially integrated ones from Intel? I can see many crashes coming from this new approach.

Druidsmark

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
My computer is all ways in use when I'm at home so the cpu is rarely idle, how ever since installing a Geforce 1060 in my pc I do have the R7 grapgics in my A10 7800 sitting idle as it never gets used. So would be great if the R7 graphics in this system could be used for some thing like this instead of my cpu, as it would leave my cpu free for gaming where the cpu is needed more.

stdragon

Admirable
Given nVidia's push into AI acceleration, and OS/App telemetry collection... Taken to the nth degree, it seems to me the industry is wanting to leverage hardware for "shadow computing" where's it's processing and collecting data not directly meaningful to us all while using valuable cycles in the process. Oh, but now HW accelerated. That's a "win", right??

How about we just ditch the notion that shadow computing is even needed and save everyone else the trouble, eh?

McAfee: hey master hey master look look i found virus

Master: That isn't a virus that's Outlook!!! Bad McAfee!!!!!

McAfee: hey master hey master look look i found another virus

Master: That isn't a virus ... THAT'S YOUR OWN EXECUTABLE!!!!

McAfee: hey master hey master look look i found another virus

Master: /sigh

Master: That isn't a virus that's Ubisoft's VMProtect DRM protection

Master: But it's close to a virus. So you can have an Antivirus Cookie

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
This article sounds preliminary but this sounds like it will be focused on Windows Defender? I assume that other antivirus companies (Bitdefender, Avast, Avira, etc.) will have the opportunity to tweak their software to take advantage too? Also, on my desktop, I have never installed Intel integrated graphics drivers (i7-7700k) as I use a Nvida 1050Ti. I assume I'll need to install the Intel drivers too to activate the integrated graphics and take advantage of this? Should I have integrated graphics anyways as backup should my card fail...or will it interfere?

Status
Not open for further replies.