Intel to AMD upgrade steps

May 14, 2018
I work in arch viz and mostly use 3dsmax with vray/corona. Recently started going solo and am considering upgrading from intel 6700k to the AMD threadripper 1950x. Basically trying to get as many cores as possible.

My question is this, aside from updating my motherboard/cooler, what other steps will I need to take to make the switch? Is reinstalling windows 10 necessary?

Want to make sure the process goes as smoothly as it can. Thanks in advance

Solution
A clean OS install is recommended and many times necessary for stability and full performance after such a hardware change. Also make sure to tie the license to your Microsoft account before the upgrade so you can move the license.

bignastyid

Titan
A clean OS install is recommended and many times necessary for stability and full performance after such a hardware change. Also make sure to tie the license to your Microsoft account before the upgrade so you can move the license.

Solution
AMD is particularly sensitive to ram.
Verify that the ram you now have is compatible with your new treadripper motherboard.
Check the motherboard QVL list.
Or, check your ram vendor ram selection app and verify that your ram kit is one of the supported kits.

You could try booting with your old windows 10.
If it works, install the new motherboard drivers and you may be ok.
If you note any suspicions behavior be prepared to do a clean install.