Intel To Build Second 1.1M Square Foot Fab in Oregon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]America is still the only industrialise country that doesn't use the metric system. For that, I congratulate the American people[/citation]
Yes, and we all still use slide-rules, too. ;)

Actually, I'm willing to bet that all scientists in the US use metric. Businesses and tool makers, now that's a different story. :sarcastic:

Doesn't Britain still use gallons?

[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]"other non-US Countries." ???Which are then the other "US countries" :)[/citation]
Okay (Countries) Territories: Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, or Virgin Islands.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]Why build it way up there??!?!? Build it down here in Texas - Less Taxes! (At least anywhere but Austin...)[/citation]

At the time we were scouting for sites to build this compound, we actually had land in Texas picked out but the state wouldn't give Intel any tax breaks. Oregon, however, has been more than kind to the company. Plus, it's a really nice place to live.

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
[citation][nom]rebel1280[/nom]I wonder why in Oregon and not South Carolina like Apple and Boeing did (state issued tax breaks and non union).[/citation]
Low humidity, cheap electrical power (about a third the cost of anywhere back East), and relative to other West Coast metros, a lower cost of living. No sales tax in OR either. The educated labor pool is pretty deep here, especially with all the transplants from CA. Sell your $500K crap box house in CA and buy a pimped out mansion up here. They don't call us Silicon Forest for nothing.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
[citation][nom]XZaapryca[/nom]Low humidity, cheap electrical power (about a third the cost of anywhere back East), and relative to other West Coast metros, a lower cost of living. No sales tax in OR either. The educated labor pool is pretty deep here, especially with all the transplants from CA. Sell your $500K crap box house in CA and buy a pimped out mansion up here. They don't call us Silicon Forest for nothing.[/citation]
Haha never heard it called a Silicon Forest, will remember that for sure :)

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]sheepsnowadays[/nom]^^ Your obviously have not calculated ANYTHING that has to do with science to realize that yes metric is the way to go.[/citation]

yes i have ohms, no meteric required

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]America is still the only industrialise country that doesn't use the metric system. For that, I congratulate the American people[/citation]
Do you even know the origin of the United States customary units? It was derived by the imperial system from the UK. The UK and other countries like Australia, Canada,... still use the imperial system.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]I'd love it if the rest of the world dropped the metric system and adopted our system of measurements.[/citation]
Actually I prefer to use the SI system. The imperial system is way too confusing with it's large number of units just for length for example. The SI system only has one unit for length, the meter. The Imperial system has inch, foot, yard,... So no, thank you.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]Yes, and we all still use slide-rules, too. Actually, I'm willing to bet that all scientists in the US use metric. Businesses and tool makers, now that's a different story. Doesn't Britain still use gallons?[/citation]
The official system of measurement in the UK is metric, but the imperial system is still widely used.

Status
Not open for further replies.