Intel to Face EU Fine on Wednesday

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
So what if they sell it cheaper with rebates to certian area's, They loose the otherwise profit they would have made in that area it's not like it's a no risk stragety.

So what they are going to BAN rebates in the EU because it's unfair to have a OTD price and a rebate price.

G

Typical Eurocrat scum - grab / steal what they can't create. Brussels Eurocrats are the worst kind of leeches. These jealous parasites HATE the fact that American companies are innovative market leaders more often than not. This is a mafia-style protection racket disguised as "anti-trust" action.

Hello Obama administration, get off your butts and do something about this - this is an assault on America.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Intel and Microsoft should tell the European Union to fuck off. American companies aren't going to personally fund their stimulus packages in Europe. If they want to continue suing American companies we should just tell Europe to fuck off and we aren't going to sell them our products anymore. Good luck getting along with second rate AMD processors and switching ALL of your government, personal, and business computers to some other company because Microsoft is no longer supporting you. I wonder how expensive a continent-wide switch to Apple or Linux will cost them? I also hope that the United States DOJ decides to just sue the holy hell out of Mercedes and BMW just for the hell of it. EU is closer to a criminal organization than they are trying to "protect against monopolies."[/citation]i bet switching to linux will "cost" them a hell lot of monney brainiac and since i see you talk in the name of the american people .. well gosh america has some kind of idiots in that whole bunch, have you ever considered that most of the researchers in america are european scientist ? like the 2nd spoken language in Microsoft is Romanian ? and european country ? you have no clue about what are you talking about so better shut up.

chandra7979

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
The EU budget is fixed. If less is spent or revenue is higher, the EU simply takes up less of the money pledged by the member states. This money is taken up on a monthly basis from an account in each of the member states. If not used, it simply stays with the member state.
The yearly budget is a maximum, but often less is spent because projects proposed are not quite up to standard. Imagine your monthly taxes being a maximum and your national government usually taking less because they consider that their proposed spending is not 100% justified... who wouldn't like that?
Before having a go at the EU, try to get your facts straight. All this info is public anyways.

chandra7979

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
The EU budget is fixed. If less is spent or revenue is higher, the EU simply takes up less of the money pledged by the member states. This money is taken up on a monthly basis from an account in each of the member states. If not used, it simply stays with the member state.
The yearly budget is a maximum, but often less is spent because projects proposed are not quite up to standard. Imagine your monthly taxes being a maximum and your national government usually taking less because they consider that their proposed spending is not 100% justified... who wouldn't like that?
Before having a go at the EU, try to get your facts straight. All this info is public anyways.

onecnote

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Big talk from a bunch of ppl. Stupid EU and their trade laws. its why the nations over there are not as great as America. Oh well we will make more money and eventually AMD will take a dive and die on its own shitty business models. No I'm not an INTEL fanboy I have built numerous systems using both AMD and INTEL. I've also used Numerous ATI products and i couldn't care less about what brand name is being called out.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
[citation][nom]eurocrats_suck[/nom]Typical Eurocrat scum - grab / steal what they can't create. Brussels Eurocrats are the worst kind of leeches. These jealous parasites HATE the fact that American companies are innovative market leaders more often than not. This is a mafia-style protection racket disguised as "anti-trust" action.[/citation]The day the prices in US are the same as in Europe using the real exchange rate, you might call us thieves. Until then, we're largely sponsoring your products which cost X dollars by us paying almost X euros for the same stuff. I don't think that shipping fees from Asia are THAT different.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Since these are European laws, enforced by European agencies, and funded by European governments, I don't know why the money should go to these European powers.

----------------

From the previous article found by following the "last week" link in this article:
Intel denies charges related to rebates offered as long as manufacturers agreed to obtain the majority of their processors from Intel as well as paying them to either to delay or cancel the launch of AMD based products.

So, yes, the issue is that Intel paid rebates if and only if they did not do business with AMD.

-------------------

As to the nature of the companies, both Intel and AMD are multinational corporations. As such, they maintain legal entities in multiple companies and don't truly "belong" in one nation, but within each country are expected to abide by their laws.

It does not matter if you feel that Intel behaved appropriately for US laws, it is the laws of the region that count. This is what sovereignty is all about - the right for a state to enact and enforce laws upon a territory.

As an aside, do you keep an eye on CNN or other news sources? Obama has recently rescinded the last administrations precedent that made anti-trust lawsuits by the government very difficult, and that the last administration had the historically lowest number of such suits brought up in court. In other words, the last administration removed the barriers against the formation of trusts and monopolies - but that, like so many other things, are changing because enough of the US citizenry said it was time for a change.

Feel free to complain like we did for the last 8 years, but note there will be one difference: we won't label you as traitors or unpatriotic for doing so. I sympathize... I know what it is like to feel like the country is going in the wrong direction due to the last 8 years.

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
[citation][nom]MDillenbeck[/nom]Since these are European laws, enforced by European agencies, and funded by European governments, I don't know why the money should go to these European powers.----------------From the previous article found by following the "last week" link in this article:So, yes, the issue is that Intel paid rebates if and only if they did not do business with AMD.-------------------As to the nature of the companies, both Intel and AMD are multinational corporations. As such, they maintain legal entities in multiple companies and don't truly "belong" in one nation, but within each country are expected to abide by their laws.It does not matter if you feel that Intel behaved appropriately for US laws, it is the laws of the region that count. This is what sovereignty is all about - the right for a state to enact and enforce laws upon a territory.As an aside, do you keep an eye on CNN or other news sources? Obama has recently rescinded the last administrations precedent that made anti-trust lawsuits by the government very difficult, and that the last administration had the historically lowest number of such suits brought up in court. In other words, the last administration removed the barriers against the formation of trusts and monopolies - but that, like so many other things, are changing because enough of the US citizenry said it was time for a change.Feel free to complain like we did for the last 8 years, but note there will be one difference: we won't label you as traitors or unpatriotic for doing so. I sympathize... I know what it is like to feel like the country is going in the wrong direction due to the last 8 years.[/citation]

Issue I have hear is how the EU has the belief they are entitled to fine Intel up to 10% of their revenue and I'm willing to bet less then 50% of Intel's revenue even comes from Europe.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]The cost of Intel CPUs might go up as well.[/citation]
That's what the eu is suing intel about lol they are selling to cheap well putting the option to lower the cost of your purchance.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]IzzyCraft[/nom]That's what the eu is suing intel about lol they are selling to cheap well putting the option to lower the cost of your purchance.[/citation]
They are selling cheap to the suppliers/retailers, not to the consumers.

brunk

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
[citation][nom]spazoid[/nom]"The European Commission said Intel’s pricing practices were an attempt to drive AMD out of the market"Welcome to the free market! Or not. I will never be able to understand why any non-private organisation can hand out fines or other penalties to private companies for being competitive.Intel wants to make money. They'll make more money if AMD goes bankrupt. The consumer doesn't win, but the market does. There is no such thing as a regulated free market. EU, you have to pick which you desire the most.[/citation]

get real, intel didnt offer those discounts to make life easier on their buyers. they did it to avoid AMD from gaining marketshare and making profit/a name. What intel is doing is just discusting. and if you claim they ARENT abusing their dominant position... you really are an ignorant fanboy

Status
Not open for further replies.