Intel to Lose its Lead in Chip Manufacturing Tech in 2009, Sort Of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I think they will put the CPUs on this process too. However, this will only be a very brief victory as Intel is much closer to getting 32nm chips out probably later in 2009. Regardless of the manufacturing process, AMD chips simply need to perform better to compete at the high end where the profit margins are much higher. Here's hoping the next gen gfx and chips can compete well on all fronts.

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
However, by that time, millions of 40 nm GPUs will have shipped already and you can bet the farm on the fact that both AMD and Nvidia will be pitching that story to the media in the same way Intel did in previous years.

AMD and nVidia are going to tout TSMC's manufacturing process?? How does this make AMD and nVidia look better? It's TSMC's process, not theirs!

"Hey look, these other guys are better than Intel!!!"

This article is foobar.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
BSMonitor,

Maybe it's because AMD and nVidia products will have a more advanced process? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out, unless you are wearing fanboy blinders I guess.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]BSMonitor[/nom]AMD and nVidia are going to tout TSMC's manufacturing process?? How does this make AMD and nVidia look better? It's TSMC's process, not theirs!"Hey look, these other guys are better than Intel!!!"This article is foobar.[/citation]

Hmm...maybe because they are entering into a major war in which Intel says the GPU is no more and ATI/Nvidia say the CPU is no more. I wonder why one side would want their products to be produced with the newest technology and then brag about how much more advanced they are. Hmm...that sure is a tough one.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]nekatreven[/nom]Hmm...maybe because they are entering into a major war in which Intel says the GPU is no more and ATI/Nvidia say the CPU is no more. I wonder why one side would want their products to be produced with the newest technology and then brag about how much more advanced they are. Hmm...that sure is a tough one.[/citation]
GPU's are more advanced.GPU's are faster than CPU's.
/fail

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]tamalero[/nom]well AMD cpus = AMD fabs, AMD GPUS = TSMC's fabs?[/citation]
AMD has recently had assistance with their new CPU fabrication from IBM.

Status
Not open for further replies.