Intel to Support Wireless Charging by 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
There are no details on specs and pricing, even if Intel's Dan Snyder notes that wireless charging times are similar to those of a USB cable setup
I've yet to use wireless charging but it'd be nice to know if he was talking about USB 2.0 port or something like one of the high-powered USB 3.0 ports.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Would be nice if they can also be used with wireless mice and keyboards !
My mouse is going thru a battery a week and you know the darn thing always dies at the most inopportune moment giving Murphy that grin of satisfaction :)

sheepsnowadays

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
"It is reasonable to assume that wireless chargers will command a noticeable premium over products cable chargers, even if the hardware production and assembly cost may be substantially lower"
Right on, a noticable price increase for something thats cheaper to make

basketcase87

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
[citation][nom]sheepsnowadays[/nom]"It is reasonable to assume that wireless chargers will command a noticeable premium over products cable chargers, even if the hardware production and assembly cost may be substantially lower"Right on, a noticable price increase for something thats cheaper to make[/citation]
I somehow doubt the guys in Intel's R&D department work for free. They have to make their money back from developing the technology as well as cover costs of production.

adgjlsfhk

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
What is the use of more expensive wireless charging that only works within an inch of the charger? At that point using a less expensive device seems more convenient.

bctande1

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
[citation][nom]adgjlsfhk[/nom]What is the use of more expensive wireless charging that only works within an inch of the charger? At that point using a less expensive device seems more convenient.[/citation]

I agree. I never quite got the NFC based charging technologies employed on current smartphones either.. Once you take the phone off the pad, it stops charging.. I don't see the flexibility in that 0__0 .. other than not having to worry about leaving a charger behind on a road trip or something.. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
so much for energy efficiency appliances... wireless charging is abyssimally wasteful, and although the impact is miniscule for an individual, it will add up tremendously as hundreds of millions of phones, laptops, tablets etc. switch to this tech.

>_

oj88

Honorable
May 23, 2012
chairman ray :One step towards Tesla's 26 mile wireless power transmitter
With the strength of Tesla wireless power, we wouldn't even need the battery and charger anymore, would we? I hope the day will come.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Wait, you have to start the wireless charging detection software manually? Screw that. Get rid of that step; make it automatic or else it might be less hassle to just plug in the wires. Watch Apple try to patent that now.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
When I first saw this, I thought it was talking about wirelessly chargine your laptop which seemed like a terrible idea. It would essentially be a directed energy weapon at that point...

Status
Not open for further replies.