Intel to Use eMLC in Next-Gen Enterprise SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]ares1214[/nom]if it is for enterprise, and all of it is changing, will it be as fast as ssd right now?[/citation]

In the Enterprise they certainly worry about speed but sometimes more important is redundancy or data protection and availability of that data. It's difficult to say from this article if the extra layers are for speed, capacity or data protection.

No matter what the focus the end result will be cheaper home user SSD drives as chip production ramps up and chips are improved.

kalogagatya

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
i don't understand SSD manufacturers: they design a standard SSD, which is much better that a great HDD, but it is too expensive, and no one buys it.
Then they design a better SSD, better than the standard SSD, also more expensive and duh, still people don't buy it.
And THEN they launch EVEN BETTER SSDs which cost EVEN MORE. do they even notice that people won't buy the standard because they still ARE TOO DAMN EXPENSIVE???

solution: they design sub-standard SSDs, with prices that HANG on the balance between just and overpriced....

10*500 is less than 1000*100, don't they know this?

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]kalogagatya[/nom]i don't understand SSD manufacturers: they design a standard SSD, which is much better that a great HDD, but it is too expensive, and no one buys it.Then they design a better SSD, better than the standard SSD, also more expensive and duh, still people don't buy it.And THEN they launch EVEN BETTER SSDs which cost EVEN MORE. do they even notice that people won't buy the standard because they still ARE TOO DAMN EXPENSIVE???solution: they design sub-standard SSDs, with prices that HANG on the balance between just and overpriced....10*500 is less than 1000*100, don't they know this?[/citation]

The problem with SSD prices is not that they are too expensive to manufacture; they are too difficult to keep in stock because they are bought up so quickly. Several months ago Newegg more than doubled the price of them because the demand far outstretched the supply. even with that dramatic price increase they are not always in stock. For the general user they are still too expensive but there are many uses where it is a very justifiable purchase.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
@kalogagatya
A) They are definitely selling the new ones, albeit in small quantities - just like with every other new tech, there are few early adopters
B) As they introduce new, expensive generations, old ones get cheaper and cheaper, eventually inventories clear out
C) They aren't exactly getting more expensive either. The original G1 Intel MLC SSD, 80GB retailed for almost $600 MSRP - as opposed to 2G 80GB costing $200 now.
D) 1000*10 + 900*20 + 800*30 ... so on >>> then selling all of them at the same time for cheap.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]kalogagatya[/nom]i don't understand SSD manufacturers: they design a standard SSD, which is much better that a great HDD, but it is too expensive, and no one buys it.Then they design a better SSD, better than the standard SSD, also more expensive and duh, still people don't buy it.And THEN they launch EVEN BETTER SSDs which cost EVEN MORE. do they even notice that people won't buy the standard because they still ARE TOO DAMN EXPENSIVE???solution: they design sub-standard SSDs, with prices that HANG on the balance between just and overpriced....10*500 is less than 1000*100, don't they know this?[/citation]
I got some bad news for your theory: People ARE buying this stuff. What is more, enterprise customers are demanding this stuff like crazy. Production is limited. They just haven't finished constructing new fabrication facilities (according to PC World). Demand is high. Profit margins are high. There is no other product on earth that can achieve these I/O numbers with such little investment/electrical power requirements.
And enthusiasts WILL PAY for SSDs... Price will go down when the market is saturated. We are not there yet...

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
It's funny that people complain about SSD prices not falling fast enough, yet for just about every year I've been watching SSD prices (since they hit like $10+ dollars per gigabyte) they've been dropping roughly 75% per year.I bought a vertex 120gb one when it first launched for around $450. That same drive is 300 now (at newegg, which over-prices SSDs anyways). No, that's not 75% anymore. But 67% over 2 years is still pretty fast price shrinkage and we haven't even hit the major price drop coming this year. I wouldn't be shocked to see that same drive for well under $2 dollars per gigabyte which would basically mean that it will have dropped over 75% over 2 years.

That's still insanely fast price decreasing.

And for the performance benefits you gain in certain kinds of computing (which is basically anything that requires lots of hard-drive access... like booting, photoshopping large files, application development, databasing, etc) you see a large boost in performance.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
80gb at $200 sounds a bit more reasonable today, I might consider this yet, I would love to wait for $150 but somehow I think this will take another year of waiting, therefore i might just end up buying the 60 or 80gb variant soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.