Intel, TSMC Agree to Make Atom-based SoCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I don't understand why Intel didn't do this a long time ago. Seems intuitive for me. Nvidia got the idea much sooner.
My only guess is using the GSE945 will save a few pennies in the short term.
Also, why will Intel need (or want) TSMC to help make the SoC?
Anyway, the sooner Intel makes the SoC, the better.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]enewmen[/nom]I don't understand why Intel didn't do this a long time ago. Seems intuitive for me. Nvidia got the idea much sooner.My only guess is using the GSE945 will save a few pennies in the short term.Also, why will Intel need (or want) TSMC to help make the SoC? Anyway, the sooner Intel makes the SoC, the better.[/citation]
I don't think intel is interested in investing in so much r&d for those custom systems, if they can find others to do that and just profit on the licenses.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]I don't think intel is interested in investing in so much r&d for those custom systems, if they can find others to do that and just profit on the licenses.[/citation]
I don't see it as custom systems. I just see it as "nano" motherboards that can fit in many small spaces.

G

It'd be nice to see mobo's being developed with upto 4 sockets, each of which one can put an ATOM processor in.
Since the Atom processor only adds 2Watts one could significantly boost their OS, while only increasing a couple of watts on CPU power!

It'd be lovely to see an 'atom-pc', being powered by 2, or 3 Atom CPU's!

And though on singlethreaded applications there is little gain, multithreaded applications will experience e nice boost!

But I doubt we'll see much of that coming to pass..

Status
Not open for further replies.