Intel Unveils its new Mobile & Tablet Strategy at MWC 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]As long as Intel either increases their video performance greatly, or add's another vendors GPU to the SOC, then this might actually be a good chip.[/citation]
Do you mean along the lines of HD video playback? I thought these did just fine with that. No?

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]teh_chem[/nom]Do you mean along the lines of HD video playback? I thought these did just fine with that. No?[/citation]
HD video playback shouldn't be a problem for any IGP/GPU from the past 4-5 years as long as there is proper software support for whatever hardware acceleration is available. Pretty sure the main reason to be concerned about the IGP is 3D acceleration for UI and games on 1080p+ screens.

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
HD video playback shouldn't be a problem for any IGP/GPU from the past 4-5 years as long as there is proper software support for whatever hardware acceleration is available. Pretty sure the main reason to be concerned about the IGP is 3D acceleration for UI and games on 1080p+ screens.

I think most company's are allready thinking about super hd...

G

I think Intel is using their own IGP for their new Atom's which should be very powerful in terms of 3D. 3DMark on the mobile IvyBridge puts up very strong scores with the latest drivers, so I'm guessing 3D will not be a problem going forward.

G

IvyBridge (and newer) with a QuickSync enabled media player (such as Zoom Player) can decode 4K videos with ease.

Intel QuickSync is currently the most powerful hardware video decoder (compared to CUDA/AVIVO).

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]NightLight[/nom]I think most company's are allready thinking about super hd...[/citation]
This is an ultra-low-power Atom intended for smartphones we are talking about here.

Super-HD on a 5-10" screen? Not worth it even if you hold your screen in your face. At 720p, individual pixels are already hardly visible on a 7" screen (awfully large for a phone IMO) even at uncomfortably close range. There are practical limits to how high resolutions can go and more than 1080p on 10" or smaller sounds completely overkill to me.

Yes, I know, some 10" tablets already push 2560x1600 but that is mainly because line-art and text (static images with fine details) still benefit from extra sharpness to some extent. For moving video, it would be extremely difficult to tell the difference even if video natively rendered and encoded at both resolutions was available for direct comparison between 1080p and 1600p devices.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
This is too late for xmas devices. T4, S800, Exynos whatever (octa etc) will all get first shots. You need to be shipping in July to OEM's to get into xmas stuff. It's not about smarts here, they're late to the party and playing catch up. MS hasn't even joined the party yet which is why they're being left behind in mobile. They should buy a chip company (NV, AMD, IMG.L) and get in this game. Intel won't really be in this competition until 2014 mid-end. Their gpu's aren't good enough to go it alone, and not having it their OWN tech raises the cost. Their socs go for $45-60 while others sell for $20-30. Tough to beat someone you don't want to be price competitive with yet and you're not even the best performer. The coming 14nm may allow them to get there though, but like I said they're out this xmas it seems. They may not even really be in this until 2015. They others are not sitting still :)

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]somebodyspecial[/nom]Tough to beat someone you don't want to be price competitive with yet and you're not even the best performer.[/citation]
While Intel's chips may not have the fastest IGP around the block, their ultra-low power Ivy Bridge tablet CPUs do beat just about anything else out there on performance per watt and benchmarks.

I use my tablet mostly for watching videos while away from my computer and reading so having an uber-IGP in a tablet is largely unnecessary, I would gladly take longer battery life, extra storage and extra RAM for smoother multi-tasking. Game-wise, I hate having fingers on-screen to use virtual controllers in action games so that rules out most graphics-intensive games.

[citation][nom]HDVid[/nom]IvyBridge (and newer) with a QuickSync enabled media player (such as Zoom Player) can decode 4K videos with ease.Intel QuickSync is currently the most powerful hardware video decoder (compared to CUDA/AVIVO).[/citation]

It may be the fastest, but it has far from ideal quality. I think that disqualifies it from being the most powerful unless someone wants to argue quantity over quality.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]It may be the fastest, but it has far from ideal quality. I think that disqualifies it from being the most powerful unless someone wants to argue quantity over quality.[/citation]
Most of the quality bad press is from early implementations on Sandy Bridge. The current QuickSync stuff is on par with software encode/decode for most intents and purposes.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
For my money I want a tablet that can game out to tv adequately or I'll put off the purchase until it can. But shield may have ended my tablet quest...LOL. If you bring my PC's gpu to the tv, for me consoles are over and maybe tablet too. I really only bought a console for friends etc and sports games (my 360 isn't used much, haven't turned it on in 6 months or more). I like my dad's nexus 10 but for his & your purposes only as it's too weak to game at 2560x1600. Although I spent a fair amount of time browsing on his nexus 10 also when I was first playing with it and surprisingly I watched (and enjoyed) an entire netflix movie or two just to be sure it did the job, I wouldn't really use it for much. It's a handy portable movie player though (bought the micro hdmi for it to output to tv for dad). My dad uses the tablet to extend his PC time (without the fat foot it gives him as a stroke victim) which the nexus is great for. He also watches the occasional movie etc with headphones while mom passes out. He can watch stuff all night without ticking off mom. :)

I totally agree with the fingers, I don't like touching the screens (hate fingerprints), but I wanted the tablet to get gaming on the go and mostly via gamepad once it becomes a better gaming platform (hence waiting for a T4 nexus 10 or whatever, I won't buy apple). I'm not sure how easy it will be to browse on shield & tv (but it's vanilla android so should have voice). But it might be good enough to just read news etc from bed. If shield has voice searching like nexus it may be good enough for basic browsing from bed etc on tv. They may have just added a device to my xmas purchases this year with shield rather than replacing the tablet purchase. I can still see wanting (not needing) a tablet for on the go use etc. I can't see doing much of anything on a phone other than making a call...LOL. I use my cell less than 100mins per month (more like less than 50). They're useless for me and only use them to make quick arrangements/adjustments to my day (hey babe, you need me to pick up bread on the way home...blah blah). My cell is off at work and I don't even give out my work# (only my parents have it direct). Maybe I'm just old fashioned. I actually WORK at work... :) Maybe I just don't like giving ATT a $100 per month. I see Ting in my future, but others would never get my money with the billing they currently have (forcing certain plans etc even if I don't use X feature, have no use for texting etc).

Not sure what people were ripping with, but I didn't see the quality in quicksync rips when I looked at them and compared to other stuff I had ripped via other means. For me quality is always #1 since I'm usually viewing on a 61in and bad quality shows up (next tv or projector? will be larger, so it'll be even more important). I get away with a lot more on my 48in, but the 61 taught me not to ignore quality for speed :) I'm still waiting to upgrade my cpu so quicksync is not an issue I deal with yet. I just saw some friends rips and didn't think much of quicksync at the time (it's fast, for sure). They are religious updaters though, so I'd think they were using the best they could at the time. They don't complain but they all have 48in or smaller. One more Intel comment, I don't consider it a tablet until it looks like a nexus10. It's a netbook/notebook/ultrabook (uselessly expensive to me) when it looks like a thinkpad X230 etc. These are not in the same league as a nexus 10. To me the first three are all laptops of some variation so Intel isn't there with a tablet yet and IVY. I don't think Haswell will be either. They need 14nm to get these into a tablet like nexus (broadwell etc). To me if it has a keyboard it's not a tablet :) If I'm going to spend $1000+ on an ultrabook, I'll nix it and buy a stonking gpu notebook that can play some real games out to a monitor when desired. I'm not a road warrior so ultra has no place for me (sales show it has no place for 98% of us, sales of ultra's suck). Also I'd never rip on a tablet/notebook etc with a PC in the other room.

Totally agree, I want MORE BATTERY! Quit making things so stinking thin. I have no use for a NON-all day phone (if/when I replace my junker). I wish they'd release 2 case sizes. One for people who think THIN is in, and another with double battery for the rest of us. I think people all buy these because there is no other choice. If Galaxy S3 & iphone5 came in 2 versions, I'm betting the THICK ones would sell far better. Someone needs to test this theory and release a fat version. They wouldn't have to add many mm to the phone to get double battery if it was the size of the entire back of the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.