Intel Unveils Movidius Myriad X Vision Processing Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Most likely due to contracts and work that was underway prior to the acquisition. It takes years to build chips.

My knowledge is a bit dated, but typically when you switch foundries, you need to switch ASIC libraries and potentially even toolchains.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I appreciate if the site is trying to QA their forum software, but please don't just copy and paste bits from other comments. Better to post some Lorem ipsum, "Testing testing 123", "This is a test post", etc.

CAlbertson

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2013
I notice the article say "4 TOPS" and not "4 FLOPS" so we have to assume these are integer operations. Even worse I assume they are 8-bit integers. This will be OK for deployment of retrained networks to consumer devices like cars and maybe even security cameras but can you train with only 8 bit integers?

Also unless they integrate this with Tensorflow or another popular framework I don't see people wanting to code to bare metal.

My advice is to hold onto your Nvidia Titan GPU cards for now

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

It's a 1.5 W part. So, of course it's not designed to replace your Titan Xp for offline training.

From https://www.movidius.com/myriadx :
Rapidly port and deploy neural networks in Caffe and Tensorflow formats
Although, I wish they natively supported Caffe, rather than just supporting its models.

Status
Not open for further replies.