[SOLVED] Intel vs AMD 2021 and beyond

yeetbucket

Proper
Jan 14, 2021
I want to build a monster of a system that'll last me for several years to come in 1440p and 144hz. i was thinking r7 3700x and 3080, but people say that intel has got better CPUs for next gen gaming AND productivity like video/photo editing. I don't want to have to upgrade for 5+ years. Please recommend me a processor under $400 and has a thread count of double it's cores ( like 8c 16th or 10c and 20th)

Solution
I want to build a monster of a system that'll last me for several years to come in 1440p and 144hz....

For that kind of gaming the CPU's the easy part...just get a 3600X or XT and a nice B450. Both are readily available and actually at discount in many locations. Less easily found, and far more likely at scalper price than discount, is a 5600X. It's as much as you need because what won't keep up with either is the GPU. And yes, a B550 motherboard is probably a better choice and usually available now.

Not even a 6900XT or RTX3090 will make even a 3600X breathe hard at 1440p/144hz refresh. And problem is, those cards are in seriously short stock what with 7nm wafer and packaging substrate shortages, impact of covid pandemic on...
D

Deleted member 2838871

I want to build a monster of a system that'll last me for several years to come in 1440p and 144hz. i was thinking r7 3700x and 3080, but people say that intel has got better CPUs for next gen gaming AND productivity like video/photo editing. I don't want to have to upgrade for 5+ years. Please recommend me a processor under $400 and has a thread count of double it's cores ( like 8c 16th or 10c and 20th)

I just built a monster of a system for 4k 120hz and don't plan on upgrading for 5+ years. While the 10900k isn't under $400... it probably will be in a month or two (or close to $400) once 11th gen releases.

I went Intel for pricing and availability being the better option over AMD... and I'm very happy with the purchase. I do a lot of video/photo editing... and encoding. My previous 4c/8t 7700k CPU would take 2 hours to encode a 2 hour video in Handbrake.

The 10c/20t 10900k encodes the same 2 hour video in 30 minutes.

:D

While the 10900k isn't under $400... it probably will be in a month or two (or close to $400) once 11th gen releases.
No it won't, 11th gen will probably only be 8 cores and old CPUs from intel don't drop in price anyway, even if 11 gen would come with 16cores the 10900k would still cost the same, a 10core 11th gen CPU would be much cheaper in that case but if it maxes out at 8 cores then that's not gonna happen.

OP should still wait for 11th gen to come out, supposed 1st quarter so it should drop within two months.
The new Intel CPUs are going to be much stronger per core and they will probably cause a price drop for ryzen, although that's not guaranteed but AMD has often dropped prices.

OP should save up an extra $100 then if he wants the 10900k. I'm happy with it... solid performance without a scalper tax attached.
Why spend any money on the K skew?! It doesn't add anything, the 100-200Mhz difference is hardly even making a difference in benchmarks.

Anyway he should wait for 11th gen to release just to see what it is.
If intel releases the 11900k at ~$400 because it's "just" 8 cores it's gonna be killer, chances are extremely slim but still, waiting 2 months is not that much.

allidsarebusy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2016
Mate, if you really were in to Photo / Video editing you wouldn't be asking those kind of questions.
If you editing a video ones every full moon or when the holly pig flies, you will be just fine with I5 and Gimp.
If you're doing it even on "enthusiastic" scale, you would perfectly know what kind of CPU you need.

Either CPU has enough juice to last you for some time. How long exactly depends not so much on the power of that CPU but rather on development and spread of new technology like DDR5 and etc...

If you compare both CPU manufacturers right now, then go for AMD.
They offer a more superior design right now.

If you want those extra 4% of performance in addition to those 140 FPS in 1080P, then sure go Intel. If you just want a better CPU in general, then go AMD.

But don't bother about video / audio / photo editing, it wont make any difference for you at all.

Main reason for you should be price and availability.

Reactions: Phaaze88
D

Deleted member 2838871

Why spend any money on the K skew?! It doesn't add anything, the 100-200Mhz difference is hardly even making a difference in benchmarks.

Anyway he should wait for 11th gen to release just to see what it is.
If intel releases the 11900k at ~$400 because it's "just" 8 cores it's gonna be killer, chances are extremely slim but still, waiting 2 months is not that much.

What makes you think I care man? I respond with advice on what I did and you want to debate? LOL

Hell I've already seen quite a few videos where they are calling the 10th gen better than the 11th gen... and even if it's not I'm quite happy with my 10 core 20 thread 10900k... and I bought the K version for the 5.2ghz all core overclock I'm running that didn't add anything.

Thanks... have a nice day. :rolleyes:

If you want those extra 4% of performance in addition to those 140 FPS in 1080P, then sure go Intel. If you just want a better CPU in general, then go AMD.

Main reason for you should be price and availability.

Yeah... price and availability is why I went Intel. 10900k for $500 or 5950x for $1300 from a scalper... the AMD is good, but it ain't that good.

Scalper tax currently applies to high end AMD chips... at least in the US... so plan accordingly.

D

Deleted member 2838871

What makes you think I was talking for you and not yeetbucket?!
You might be into heavy O/C he might only want default.
the reason of a forum is to get opinions, I gave mine.

Because you quoted my post. Next time quote the OP with your pearls of wisdom rather than trying to incite debates just because you don't agree... and yeah, the heavy O/C is pretty sexy. Again... quote the OP next time. Nothing wrong with opinions... but don't respond to me claiming you were talking to the OP.

C'mon man... I was born at night... but not last night.

(y)

I want to build a monster of a system that'll last me for several years to come in 1440p and 144hz....

For that kind of gaming the CPU's the easy part...just get a 3600X or XT and a nice B450. Both are readily available and actually at discount in many locations. Less easily found, and far more likely at scalper price than discount, is a 5600X. It's as much as you need because what won't keep up with either is the GPU. And yes, a B550 motherboard is probably a better choice and usually available now.

Not even a 6900XT or RTX3090 will make even a 3600X breathe hard at 1440p/144hz refresh. And problem is, those cards are in seriously short stock what with 7nm wafer and packaging substrate shortages, impact of covid pandemic on the supply chain and the miners buying up everything they can at scalper prices whenever stock does come available. But find one and pair it with even a 3600X on a B550 motherboard and you'll have about as good as it gets right now if that (high-resolution/high-refresh gaming) is your only consideration.

Last edited:
Solution
Everything will last 5 years before it breaks. Likely even 10 or 15.
What is not known is what YOU will demand in the next 5 years.

"future proofing" when it comes to pc's has not in the past been a good strategy.

Better to buy what you need now and what you can foresee in the next year or two.
OK to plan on a graphics upgrade in 2-3 years.
3080 looks to be a very good buy for 4k gaming .
IF... you can find one anywhere near MSRP or even find one at all.

On the cpu side, if you are buying new, go with current gen parts.
That means 5000 series ryzen with the improved IPC or wait a month or two for intel 11th gen.
Unverified leaks suggest even better performance than ryzen 5000.
Once you get to 8 cores/16 threads, look for the best single thread performance which is most important for gaming.