News Intel Warns Of "Damage" From Non-K Alder Lake CPU Overclocking

Oct 5, 2021
Meh.. If it's Asus and I read it on the internet or saw it on YouTube it must be true..

Examples: No one has been able to purchase an Asus 3070 Noctua edition because they don't exist. Stackable micro atx mobo..doesn't exist. An Asus mobo that magically unlocks non-K Intel CPUs. No..

Another Asus vaporware story.. Please tell me someone else sees the obvious trend here..?

Reactions: bigdragon
Yeah, I find their statement funny since they don't officially support overclocking on ANY CPU, anyway.
They're just trying to protect their K-class CPU margins.
Nah they are just making it clear that they will not accept RMAs caused by this, just like back in the day where they made the same exact statement about ram overclock.
People that want proper overclocking are still going to go for K CPUs.

Reactions: Why_Me

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Yeah, I find their statement funny since they don't officially support overclocking on ANY CPU, anyway.
They're just trying to protect their K-class CPU margins.
There's only three K SKU's. The only part of the stack that overclocking makes any real difference is at the bottom of the stack with their artificially low base/turbo clocks. The 12600K/KF is the only 6 core or fewer CPU with any eCores. No amount of overclocking on any sku below that is going to make up for the missing 4 eCores. This overclocking is more likely persuade someone to buy a 12400 over a 12600 of an i3 12100 over a 12300. But with only a $20 or $30 difference, does it even make sense to do that?

Reactions: Why_Me
But this is a response from them about non-k overclock and not about rma in general.
"Intel’s 12th Gen non-K processors were not designed for overclocking. Intel does not warranty the operation of processors beyond their specifications."

That second part is very conclusive. K or non-K; XMP or not.

This is a non-issue IMO. Anyone overclocking knows or should know this already. This would be a non-discussion if Intel just made every CPU unlocked, but here we are.

Regards.

InvalidError

Titan
"Intel’s 12th Gen non-K processors were not designed for overclocking. Intel does not warranty the operation of processors beyond their specifications."

That second part is very conclusive. K or non-K; XMP or not.
The funny thing about "non-K parts are not designed for overclocking" is that they're the same dies, just lower binned ones that may have some defects or worse thermal characteristics from process variances. They aren't any more or less "designed" for overclocking, just luck of the draw most heavily influenced by position on the raw wafer.

Reactions: King_V and -Fran-

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Meh.. If it's Asus and I read it on the internet or saw it on YouTube it must be true..

Examples: No one has been able to purchase an Asus 3070 Noctua edition because they don't exist. Stackable micro atx mobo..doesn't exist. An Asus mobo that magically unlocks non-K Intel CPUs. No..

Another Asus vaporware story.. Please tell me someone else sees the obvious trend here..?
The same thing (non K overclocking) happened with Skylake and Z170 motherboards, not really that unbelievable.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019

That's not gonna scare people. They should have said: "More than 95% of the non-K CPU will fail and get damaged if OC-ed. Those that OC them are playing lottery with their warranty."

If they want to stop this for good they need to update the BIOS-es. Which they probably will do.

That's not gonna scare people. They should have said: "More than 95% of the non-K CPU will fail and get damaged if OC-ed.
But that would be a blatant lie and would get them into trouble.
100% of the CPUs will be ok for at least the warranty period (3 years) ,and at most the damage will be some amount of degradation which just means that you will have to dial down the overclock (or push the voltage higher) after a few years.

Really the only way to damage your CPU with O/C is if your motherboard is so crappy that it pushes more than 1.5V into your CPU even if you have it set much lower, and yes that is a thing that happens.