Intel: We Worked With Google on Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Google may be facing antitrust litigation in the near future and Intel has already dealt with antitrust suits. Maybe it's an exclusive club for companies that abuse their dominant market position to develop a new browser to combat the king of companies that abuse dominant market positions (Microsoft).

G

apache_lives, since it's based of a stripped down linux, there is a massive open app store already. where everything is free. :)

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]Now why would Intel do this? Other than stated reason...isn't Intel supposed to be developing Moblin for netbooks? Or did they can that? XD[/citation]With open-source applications one doesn't necessarily inhibit the other. They probably are sharing a lot of common development effort like power management and video drivers.

G

When can I have Window and Chrome simul-booted in my laptop?

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]nofumble62[/nom]When can I have Window and Chrome simul-booted in my laptop?[/citation]
Got an emulator? VMware, Virtualbox, Qemu, etc. ...
But I think that would eliminate virtually all the advantages Google's aiming for, like fast boot times and low resource usage.

G

They couldn't finish Moblin, so they gave it to the Linux Foundation, who has pretty much assumed the entire project. I don't get the impression that the Linux Foundation cares too much about Moblin, I don't know when (if ever) they might actually finish it. I'm sure Intel played a pretty minimal role in Chrome, since google has plenty of world-class developers, I don't know why they're so determined to act like they know OSes...

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]alvine[/nom]im happy intel was in this since the os is mainly for netbooks and all netbooks have intel atoms in them.[/citation]

Untrue.
Ever heard if Via? You know, those cheaper than hell processors form a failing company? Via netbooks are as cheap as you're going to get though, so they do work.

jeep11

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
[citation][nom]alvine[/nom]im happy intel was in this since the os is mainly for netbooks and all netbooks have intel atoms in them.[/citation]
Don't forget the Anthlon Neo

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]one-shot[/nom]Google may be facing antitrust litigation in the near future and Intel has already dealt with antitrust suits. Maybe it's an exclusive club for companies that abuse their dominant market position to develop a new browser to combat the king of companies that abuse dominant market positions (Microsoft).[/citation]
QFT
Don't get why people didn't like this post.
Google has 90% of the (web search) market - ouch.

Now on topic:
First they "create" a browser, advertised for "each tab can crash independently", wow, good selling point.
Next they "create" Android, which is Java - JIT (I still wonder how that performs) + "something".
Next they "create OS" (thanks to Linus Torvalds, now I can also create one) centered around the gloroius "Chrome" browser.

Hm, what is google up to?

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
ASUS has "OS" like that shipped with their motherboards ^^ (included in BIOS). But they are nowhere near google at creating hypes out of nothing.

cerulean

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
[citation][nom]blackthorne[/nom]Wow...Intel talking about competition being good. What a joke....[/citation]

Yes, I agree. Quite ironic that they're releasing statements about fair competition driving innovation when it seems that their goal lately is to crush their own competitors. I guess what they mean is that competition is good as long as it isn't THEIR competition and they benefit from it in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.