Question Intel Wireless-AC 8265 Latency Spikes

Feb 14, 2022
For the past few months, I've been having a problem with the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 in my laptop. I'm having constant lag spikes which is making online gaming or game streaming from my PC completely impossible.

I have tried quite literally everything such as adding ScanDisableOnHighOrMulticast, LowLatencyOrQos, etc. to my adapters registry and setting them to 1, downgrading the drivers, upgrading the drivers, trying to change every advanced setting for the adapter, turning off bluetooth, completely uninstalling then reinstalling the drivers, disabling scanning while connected to my network, and probably tons more I can't think of right now.

This problem is driving my absolutely insane and for the life of me, I can't find a solution anywhere.
Here's more info about my setup:
  • I'm running Windows 11 Home
  • My Intel Wireless driver is version 20.70.27.1
  • I'm connecting with 802.11ac
  • I have Throughput Booster and Packet Coalescing disabled

Here's a couple screenshots of the problem:
Packet Loss Test (i.imgur.com)
Pinging Router via CMD Prompt (i.imgur.com)
On my phone, iPad, and pretty much every device in the same location, the latency to my router is 3-6 ms and about 50 ms to the packet loss test website.

Not sure what to recommend other than not using wifi for those applications. Those are the least tolerant of latency spikes.

Since you see the problem when you ping the router it pretty much proves the problem is the wifi. I guess you could check it on a ethernet cable to be really sure but this is extremely common on wifi.

It is likely some interference coming from outside your house causing damage to the radio transmissions. Wifi will detect the bad data and resend it but that time to resend the data is what is causing the latency spike.

You can try the standard change the radio channel/band or maybe try to force it to 20mhz wide channels on the router. This likely will make no difference there is like interference on every possible channel.