Intel Working on Display Linking Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
good for some used, awful for others. Even w/ next to no bezel framing each device you still end up w/ the center of the screen (in intel's example of you and 3 friends) being a bezel-cross. This is usally where the focus is on a movie, raw film footage etc... business presentations (power point etc) have lots of odd details that can be lost behind that same bezel... think about putting your ipods together w/ those thick (proportionally) frames and try to watch anything. lol.

...I'm not sold on it yet.

hobbitcy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
your comment is correct if they are smart though they will program in that the image shows up on each display not behind it
so the bezel what block any info, no blind spots, would be a bit odd as you would have gaps but at least nothing hidden

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
ya, but whether gaps or hidden... I'm not sold yet that it would be any where near as useful as just showing it on a netbook or full notebook. I would still rather carry one of those to show any kind of multimedia.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
I'd rather have a wireless standard built in all playback and display devices so that any image on any device (phone, netbook, portable media player, computer, etc) can be paired with and playback on any monitor or projector I come across.

Marcus Yam

Splendid
Jul 1, 2008
While the four screens together are kind of neat, what would really make me take notice is if all four devices would be able to combine and distribute computing power -- even across different devices!

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
...and then in that distributed processing power, combine all other functions into a single collective that spans globally. Thus allowing total organic entity enslavement and self-aware superiority over all things, including the very creator of that superiority. Whereby as soon as we are able to say "wow, that's cool" and gain the realization that a reversal of this event is impossible, we would be cursing ourselves for not listening to the inner tin-foil-hat-wearing voice that said "don't..."

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I'm confused as to what technology Intel might be considering for this solution. Is hardware mega-Giant Intel getting into software? Is a company with zero presence (not counting storage) in the mobile market (PDAs, phones, MP3 players) simply prepping for an all-out offensive?

I know Intel is going to try to push Atom, which will probably mean an all-Intel design (CPU, display adapter, input adapter, storage, sound, etc...). Maybe once the world runs Intel hardware on their phones, this will come to fruition. In the mean time, I wouldn't put much faith in your iPhone working with your friends Blackberry to provide a bigger display area.

jeanluclariviere

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
There is already software out there used link several monitors together (see youtube videos of players spanning WOW over 3 monitors seemlessly), so, as far as the bevel is concerned, I think they will be wise enough to address the issue.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
my point is not whether they address it, but rather that regardless of HOW you address it, it is still there. Whatever the method, to me it is vastly inferior to showing a clip or presentation on a single screen. Also, to address it "properly" you would have to know the bezel size on all the device possibilities (which afaik is not stored on any hardware internally) otherwise nothing matches up or even looks right. Resolutions and screen sizes are a wholly different, but related issue in that rez diffs alone would create scaling issues but could be dealt with, screen size though would be another animal...

...basically all I'm saying is that as of this point I'm not sold that it is a viable idea beyond a novelty "hey, look what my cell-phone can do with your zune!" kind of thing.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]cdnsteve[/nom]Uhhh ever heard of triplehead2go from matrox? This already exists.[/citation]

“Imagine you and 3 friends placing your mobile devices together while on the road to review the video of the day's events.”

Then imagine some guy walking up to the next table and laying out three full size lcds, a laptop, a TH2G, and a full array of dvi and power cables.

Since they are suggesting that the display linking and picture orientation logic and hardware is built into the 'mobile devices', it isn't exactly the same thing.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
intel said that? i don't think that is a good application for such technology.
yet, i still think they should go on with it, it could have possible use someday.

G

I would like to have applications be displayable on any device, with changing the place where it should be displayed while it is still running. (So not like with X-servers where you can just start it on some machine and display it at yours, but not move it around while it's running)

Status
Not open for further replies.