Intel Xeon E5-2690 Sandy Bridge-EP Performance Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Personally, I like the look of that SB-EN chip. It's not as overblown as the SB-E: 3 memory channels, 8 cores, 20MB cache, 24 PCIe3 lanes (3 x8 slots would be nice for 3 way SLi without overdoing it, maybe using a bridge chip to change those to x16 PCIe2), and a single QPI link. It's meant for single socket designs. We already know the quad channel memory config doesn't help anything. Triple channel memory would be fine. (Works fine for my 920.) I just hope it's not too overpriced.

friskiest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
I honestly feel bad whenever I read Intel "leaks" and comparisons for their upcoming chips since they almost always deliver on the promise and hype,.

AMD so far never get past the hype with its Bulldozer,. a repeat performance from their Piledriver should essentially seal off AMD from the x86 market.

To AMD,. please give us the same joy with the release of Athlon 64,.
Alot probably gave up on you,. but there's always a second chance..

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]Personally, I like the look of that SB-EN chip. It's not as overblown as the SB-E: 3 memory channels, 8 cores, 20MB cache, 24 PCIe3 lanes (3 x8 slots would be nice for 3 way SLi without overdoing it, maybe using a bridge chip to change those to x16 PCIe2), and a single QPI link. It's meant for single socket designs. We already know the quad channel memory config doesn't help anything. Triple channel memory would be fine. (Works fine for my 920.) I just hope it's not too overpriced.[/citation]

I really don't see the point of talking about the advantages / disadvantage of these platforms from an end-user perspective as these are meant for servers. Quad channel is really most beneficial for various server uses.
Going back to the end-user, enthusiasts finally have the opportunity to create a rather large RAM-Disk thanks to 64gb support of the SB-E platform (thanks to quad channel config).

G

I want a dual core 2600 with a 3 card FireGL solution and quad striped SSD configuration. I wonder what that would cost me? 10k for a workstation setup? It would no doubt be louder than crap but what a whopper that thing would be. The kind of research I could do on that baby though. Wow!

G

A true Bulldozer ....to bad it's running on lower Ghz compared to the 6core. What would be the difference if you overclock a 6 vs 8 core(starting from lower Ghz) not much I think. Nevertheless a beast and useful for professional applications since most of them still don't benefit from parallel GPU computing power.

Rock_n_Rolla

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
WOW! Looks very interesting! :) Imagine installing TWO XEON E5-2600 procs on an EVGA SR3
dual LGA2011 slot X79 mobo and OC it to 4.7ghz with 64 gigabyte of 2000+ mhz RAM and TWO
Radeon 7970 3GB video cards on Xfire?.. That would make my After Effects / Sony Vegas Pro
video editing, Cinema 4D renders and gaming experience more exciting and faster than ever!

- Cant wait for EVGA's SR3 mobo and Intel's XEON E5-2600 release! :)

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]Rock_n_Rolla[/nom]WOW! Looks very interesting! :) Imagine installing TWO XEON E5-2600 procs on an EVGA SR3dual LGA2011 slot X79 mobo and OC it to 4.7ghz with 64 gigabyte of 2000+ mhz RAM and TWO Radeon 7970 3GB video cards on Xfire?.. That would make my After Effects / Sony Vegas Pro video editing, Cinema 4D renders and gaming experience more exciting and faster than ever! - Cant wait for EVGA's SR3 mobo and Intel's XEON E5-2600 release! :)[/citation]
Don't you mean 96 GB? And FOUR 7970s or whatever NVIDIA comes up with? And why only overclock to 4.7, especially as you would obviously be water cooling?

Rock_n_Rolla

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
[citation][nom]freenss[/nom][/citation]
@ Freenss

Yes, 96GB and four 7970's or maybe TWO 7990's are possible with SR3 but i dont know
if i could afford it, as for the cooling system yes im planing to install water cooling in
a Xigmaek Elysium case where the SR3 could fit nicely to achieve a much higher OC,
since the XEON E5-2600 has 8 cores and 16 threads, installing two of it on an EVGA's SR3
would result in a 32 processing threads that i can utilize on my After Effects previews
specially when im editing HD videos and adding effects together with Sony Vegas Pro.
It will also help me a lot on my Cinema 4D renders, AND for other USERS who's work
is similar to what i do specially those freelance 3d artist and into digital film effects
needing to have a much faster system, this will give them the processing power they
need to make their work faster instead of buying bulky setup very expensive render
servers.

Although this setup is a bit expensive and not suitable for others, and for my very long
term use and to make my work faster i think its worth it. IMO :)

- Advance Happy New Year to All! :)

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]BSMonitor[/nom]Yup![/citation]
[citation][nom]newbie_mcnoob[/nom]So this is where the two disabled cores from Sandy Bridge-E went.[/citation]

lol nope. Two totally different masks.

While on paper (img 1) Sandy Bridge-EP seems like not much of an upgrade, the performance numbers are quite staggering. 2.2x performance against its own server processors a few years ago, that's nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.