News Intel's 12th Gen Alder Lake K-series CPUs Arrive In Amazon Netherlands

barryv88

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
If this kind of pricing holds out to be somewhat true, then AL is slated for a disastrously bad launch.

Performance: Leaks show AL in the lead in some areas while regressing in others against Zen. Not off to a good start, but we'll see...
Cost: Simply horrible. Platform cost and DDR5 for the flagship will easily send the price rocketing over $1600+. While a 5950X Zen setup will cost significantly less. Hell, you can even reduce costs further by using Zen's midrange and older chipsets.
Power: Those PL2 numbers are atrocious. Even for the i5. Long term running costs for AL will cost you more. Bigger PSU is required too vs Zen. More unnecessary added costs.
Heat and Noise: Given the above, the AL platform will be more uncomfortable to work with for those that seek quieter systems.
DDR5: Price/variety/quantity/availability world wide may complicate AL's launch. Intel will have to bare the brunt of this impact, for the better or worse. Zen's entry to DDR5 will likely come at a much better time when the previous mentioned issues are sorted.
Those small cores: Man these things are controversial. How would AL perform if it had an all big core design? Isn't a new node and a new architecture supposed to improve heat/power draw? Intel's move from 14nm to 10nm seems far out of whack in comparison to Zen going 14nm to 7nm.
AL stinks. So far.

Reactions: artk2219 and Giroro

cc2onouui

Prominent
Oct 3, 2021
If this kind of pricing holds out to be somewhat true, then AL is slated for a disastrously bad launch.

Performance: Leaks show AL in the lead in some areas while regressing in others against Zen. Not off to a good start, but we'll see...
Cost: Simply horrible. Platform cost and DDR5 for the flagship will easily send the price rocketing over $1600+. While a 5950X Zen setup will cost significantly less. Hell, you can even reduce costs further by using Zen's midrange and older chipsets.
Power: Those PL2 numbers are atrocious. Even for the i5. Long term running costs for AL will cost you more. Bigger PSU is required too vs Zen. More unnecessary added costs.
Heat and Noise: Given the above, the AL platform will be more uncomfortable to work with for those that seek quieter systems.
DDR5: Price/variety/quantity/availability world wide may complicate AL's launch. Intel will have to bare the brunt of this impact, for the better or worse. Zen's entry to DDR5 will likely come at a much better time when the previous mentioned issues are sorted.
Those small cores: Man these things are controversial. How would AL perform if it had an all big core design? Isn't a new node and a new architecture supposed to improve heat/power draw? Intel's move from 14nm to 10nm seems far out of whack in comparison to Zen going 14nm to 7nm.
AL stinks. So far.
Well it's not all a fair argument, sure ddr5 may be not a good deal at first and "only maybe" Alder lake as a whole platform "price wise" but this maybe will be mostly because of the new memory, the performance should not be blamed too early, in my opinion if it was 15% faster than ZEN 3 with 20%_+ for the whole platform why not( if intel lowered the price to ZEN level "on faster than ZEN CPUs" then this will encourage customers to buy the new not cheap memory for a better over all system) the performance\power\temp that is something we have to wait a confirmation on so if a ZEN platform cost 1200$ a 1450$ faster system is not bad unless maybe if you have to pay too much for the new windows 11, I'm talking about the prices only in comparison but I don't believe even a 16 big cores processor should cost over 400$ neither 700$ for the best GPU but it is what it is.

JfromNucleon

Prominent
Oct 5, 2020
I mean, technically one could go for DDR4

Reactions: artk2219

barryv88

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
I mean, technically one could go for DDR4
Yip, but that only alleviates cost. You can also do the same alleviating with Zen (going with B450/X470/B550) instead of X570.
All those hundreds of dollars saved can go towards a better GPU, bigger monitor etc. for a better overall experience with Zen. The i3 and i5's won't make any sense after launch either as they can only run on a high-end chipset. That already defeats the purpose of a budget build that those CPU's are aimed at. How long will B660 take to come out? Tick-tock Intel...... tick tock.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well Intel was not happy with previous generation price. No it is just going back to normal pricing.
Buy yeah. Low end motherboards would be nice to get, but low end budget customers should look 10000 and 11000 series in anyway. This is Intels new highend, luxury cpu line, so not having cheap options in the beginning is understandable. hen we get 2 performance 4 efficient core version to the market, then low end board also is needed badly.

Well Intel was not happy with previous generation price. No it is just going back to normal pricing.
Buy yeah. Low end motherboards would be nice to get, but low end budget customers should look 10000 and 11000 series in anyway. This is Intels new highend, luxury cpu line, so not having cheap options in the beginning is understandable. hen we get 2 performance 4 efficient core version to the market, then low end board also is needed badly.
These are not official prices, so keep your conspiracy feelings in check at least until we get prices from intel.
Amazon is a marketplace just like ebay where anybody can offer whatever they want at whatever price they want.
Also intel never released anything other than core for the 11th gen (no celeron/pentiums) so they might also not offer any budget CPUs for the 12th gen.