Intel's 50Gbps Laser Light Beams Are the Future

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]the hedgehog[/nom]After thought.What about power transfer to devices that may require it?[/citation]

I would assume that like Intel's Lightpeak, they would embed copper into the fiber to transmit the needed power.

But this is more for internal.

[citation][nom]azrael666[/nom]this is not new sounds to me just like fiber optics supporting the internet tiers which hum 10gbswhats so new if they hiked 50 out of 4 fibers?[/citation]

No they have yet to embed it into silicon. This is on step towards a fiber based mobo or even CPU.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Cant wait until the SLI, Crossfire, and SATA are replaced with fiber optics. Later on the they can make pcb's with optical channels. Can't wait!

getritch

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
[citation][nom]jrharbort[/nom]A whopping 6.25GB/s according to a calculator I used.http://www.matisse.net/bitcalc/Need to transfer a DVD in just a hair over a second? Done.Problem is... hard drives don't even come close to this speed in terms of write performance. This technology is the most future proof I've seen.[/citation]

Great, but does this calculator accomodate the proper bit/byte-changes?
http://xkcd.com/394/

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]decrypted[/nom]Wow, in the third vid it says that the link is scalable up to 1 Terabit.[/citation]

They are talking scalable in theory only. It is entirely likely that the technology will scale well over the current theoretical limit as has happened to most statements made so early in the development of a tech.

alexcheng

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
"Moving forward at the speed of light"

Dang that just sounds so cool! But I have a little question, is this like as fast as it would ever get? I know it sounds ridiculous, but isn't "light" the fastest thing on earth now?

danny69t

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
"up to 50 gigabits of data per second. This is the equivalent of an entire HD movie being transmitted each second"

Are You sure, Marcus? 1 bit = 1 byte since when?

funny reado (i thing he read gigabyte) anyway :D

Railgun1369

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]babybeluga[/nom]What happens if I shine it in my eyes?[/citation]

Your name changes to Johnny and you're doomed to act poorly for the rest of your career...er...life.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]mehwhen they can do wireless(fiberless?) laser data transmissions, then I'll be impressed. Just don't get any paper(or a finger) between your PC and your wireless monitor![/citation]
Optical fibre technology is based on the phenomenon of total internal reflection, for which you require a material medium that will continuously reflect the beam of light as it moves along. Hence information propagated this way needs a material medium to travel.Moreover optical fibres have coatings of varying refractive indices, otherwise your information will get destroyed due to interference from surrounding signals.So, this technology cannot be possible without wires.

kanaida

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Now we need to just have video cards with a single optical pin and the 8pin power. I can't rememeber exactly the badwidth of PCI Express 3.0 but I think this is faster than that, and that's not even being made yet so they should just skip that generation alltogether. Unfortunately they like to milk everything. I wish intel actually had competition from AMD so that they wouldn't release all this stuff so slowly. By that I mean, it's that intel is always ahead by about a year or two, even though they don't release their products until the time is right for profit.

G

Technology looks designed for internal connections. The 3rd video was talking about moving things like CPU and memory to separate buildings!

G

Why everybody want this that bad? Most ppl don't HDDs faster than 1 Gbps (128 megabytes / sec ). let alone 50 Gbps (6400 megabytes / sec).
This technology is for further, Useless for today :).

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
[citation][nom]the hedgehog[/nom]GET RID OF DIAL-UP SPEEDS PLEASE.thank you.[/citation]
when you need an emergency internet backup for work, you will regret ever putting down dial up.

G

This is definitely the sort of technology I look forward to, even though I most probably wont be able to afford it. :(

G

photons are fast.. but hardly compare to an electron that can exist in two places simultaneously.. If you want REAL speed, look into quantum entanglement... instantaneous transfer of unlimited amounts of data across an infinite distance regardless of objects in between the two points.. and if thats still not fast enough, they have figured out how increase the speed of the cause and effect of this process so that the effect happens BEFORE the cause... wrap your brain around that..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement

lasernerd

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
This technology isn't primarly designed for communication between harddisks and motherboards, so all guys saying, that there is no need for this bandwith should use their brains. This technology can be used for transfering data between multiple cpu's, between cpu and ram, between graphic cards and motherboard...

There are a lot of possible ways to use this, for example the graphiccard(s) could be placed in external cases having same performance than directly connected to motherboard via PCIe. Mainboard Layouts could be much easier, because instead of hundreds of cooperlanes there would be only one tiny cable needed to connect differen chips to eachother.

Tamz_msc said:
loomis86 said:
mehwhen they can do wireless(fiberless?) laser data transmissions, then I'll be impressed. Just don't get any paper(or a finger) between your PC and your wireless monitor!
So, this technology cannot be possible without wires.

Thats not correct. Wireless lasertechnology with high Bandwith is already in use. Satelits are able to communicate with each other with up to 5 gbit/s via laser technology since some years. Same technology is already used by military for communication between ships.

http://www.tesat.de/component/docman/doc_download/15-laser-terminal-communication-movie-mp4
http://www.tesat.de/component/docman/doc_download/6-tesat-optical-products

But this technology isn't comparable to intels development, because it uses much bigger components and is designed for very big distances. But I'm sure that the wireless laser technology will be used some day in desktop systems.

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
[citation][nom]kanaida[/nom]Now we need to just have video cards with a single optical pin and the 8pin power.[/citation]
Actually it's a step to definitely kill (1) the discrete video card. Today it is entirely possible to integrate an "almost top CPU" with a "nearly top GPU" into a single chip that will be more than enough for most gamers. The only factor limiting performance is memory bandwidth. Researchers are already testing OCDIMM (Optically Connected DIMMs). It is just a matter of time.

(1) by kill I don't mean they will disappear, just that most gamers (anyone happy with a single $300 GPU) won't need a discrete one. Only those that like to brag about their $2000 4-way SLI will need to buy discrete cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.