News Intel's Alder Lake Non-K Series CPUs Could Start At $119

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
i agree that it will be next budget friendly build. but imo the i5 should already started with 8 core and 8 thread rather than 6 - 6. and the i7 should already started with 12 -12 atleast or even better 16 - 16
If rumors are to be believed, Intel is not going to increase beyond 8 P Cores any time soon. Raptor Lake will reportedly top out at 8 P cores and 16 E cores. Successor Meteor Lake is unknown, but its successor, Arrow Lake is leaked to have 8 P cores and 32 E cores. That's 3 generations going forward, taking us into 2024 with nothing rumored with more than 8 P cores.

If rumors are to be believed, Intel is not going to increase beyond 8 P Cores any time soon. Raptor Lake will reportedly top out at 8 P cores and 16 E cores. Successor Meteor Lake is unknown, but its successor, Arrow Lake is leaked to have 8 P cores and 32 E cores. That's 3 generations going forward, taking us into 2024 with nothing rumored with more than 8 P cores.
Even the e core increase seems extremely unlikely to me, nobody on the desktop needs them, the productivity performance of the 5950 and 12900 are already way too much for normal users, you have to be a semi/professional to need that much let alone even more.
For server or some other platform I can see it but why for desktop.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
nobody on the desktop needs them, the productivity performance of the 5950 and 12900 are already way too much for normal users, you have to be a semi/professional to need that much let alone even more.
For server or some other platform I can see it but why for desktop.
I agree, but marketing needs them for their power point slides. Got to look better than the competition and perform better than your previous generation.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Intel didn't need that the last 5 years and sales and profits have been through the roof.
You're like a broken record. The same two posts over and over again, and this is one of them. Intel is not setting profits records. Net profits were down in 2019 vs 2018, they were down in 2020 vs 2019, and they were down again for the twelve months ending September 30th this year, their last quarterly report. The only reason Intel is generating the revenue they are now is because of a global chip shortage and because AMD can't produce nearly as many chips as Intel, neither of which has anything to do with Intel remotely executing at a high level. Alder Lake is a good first step, but Intel needs to stay on schedule and get their manufacturing side in order if they want to stop the bleeding of market share and profits they've seen the last 3 years.

You're like a broken record. The same two posts over and over again, and this is one of them. Intel is not setting profits records. Net profits were down in 2019 vs 2018, they were down in 2020 vs 2019, and they were down again for the twelve months ending September 30th this year, their last quarterly report. The only reason Intel is generating the revenue they are now is because of a global chip shortage and because AMD can't produce nearly as many chips as Intel, neither of which has anything to do with Intel remotely executing at a high level. Alder Lake is a good first step, but Intel needs to stay on schedule and get their manufacturing side in order if they want to stop the bleeding of market share and profits they've seen the last 3 years.
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/INTC/intel/net-income
By 150 million total?
Also intel only publishes trailing 9 month not 12 so I don't know where you look these things up.
And the only reason intel is making slightly less is because buying resources during the shortages is much more difficult.
2020$20,899
2019$21,048
2018$21,053

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
By 150 million total?
Also intel only publishes trailing 9 month not 12 so I don't know where you look these things up.
And the only reason intel is making slightly less is because buying resources during the shortages is much more difficult.
2020$20,899
2019$21,048
2018$21,053
Don't try to move the goal posts. You claimed record profits, while the reality is Intel is looking at 3 consecutive declining years of profits with eroded margins.

All of Intel's quarterly reports are published on the internet. Whether or not Intel reports 12 months, it's not high level mathematics to calculate it yourself. That said, the below website did it for you.

• Intel net income for the twelve months ending September 30, 2021 was $21.102B, a 3.85% decline year-over-year.