Intel's Broadwell Core M-5Y70: The First Benchmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

abitoms

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
@Don

You said: "Bay Trail-based Atom processors were the best you could get before Core M arrived on the scene". On what factors is this proposition based?

BlasterX

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014
Wait, 300$?

If this is true, then Intel lost my hope on the Core M platform. Then you would rather want a Core i7 than a processor only as fast as the Pentium.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
How nice speeds, but hitting the retail at $300 is just overkill. If Intel wants to dominate mobile, it needs to quickly get the cost down so we can have cheap Core M tablets.

SuperVeloce

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Wait, 300$?

If this is true, then Intel lost my hope on the Core M platform. Then you would rather want a Core i7 than a processor only as fast as the Pentium.
Now show me a snappy fanless i7 tablet. Oh noes, there isn't any?

neblogai

Distinguished
I don't care if Core M allows fanless tablets. A $281 processor that is released to change previous $281 tablet processor (i5) should be benchmarked with it, not with some Atom.

SuperVeloce

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
No, you first test something with the same usecase and only then you stack those results by price. Fanless is the mayor factor here.
If you want $200 tablet, you can have arm/atom one. If you need more power, there is a price to pay, just like buying a top mobile phone for $600.

neblogai

Distinguished
So I want the same usecase- which is a form factor of surface pro 2 or 3. I'm happy with the size, weight and battery life. Core M, if used in next surface pro, would be a downgrade in processor speed - while still being just as expensive. That is why I want benchmarks - to compare how much slower it is.

frozentundra123456

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Yea, I am not sure it is a good idea to make your lower priced cpu look so anemic. Atom in both x86 and android is what Intel needs to really make headway against ARM in tablet/phone space. Seems like Intel is slipping back into the attitude that got them into trouble in the first place, that is focusing too much on high end, high margin devices and neglecting atom. Even if it is a great product, I see Core M more taking market share from Intel's own laptop/ultrabook/convertible sales than making headway against Android/IoS.

swordrage

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
So I'm not the only one who thinks that fan-less-ness is not so important for a productivity tablet.
Yes, it is impressive if you can do that, but I'd rather have a standard U series or even M series (the previous M) processor just to have that extra performance. I will definitely go for it if a fanless tablet can perform as well as one with a haswell U series processor. I think and hope the next gen core M will be hitting that performance level. I am really happy about the increase in GPU performance though.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
so this broadwell is 2.5x to 3x performance then then this atom, but will cost you 700 dollars more. that's pretty disappointing considering a tablet with that cpu in it will cost you a 1,000 dollars compared to a tablet with bay trail in it that would cost you 300 dollars.

Smallfilou

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
Yea, I am not sure it is a good idea to make your lower priced cpu look so anemic. Atom in both x86 and android is what Intel needs to really make headway against ARM in tablet/phone space. Seems like Intel is slipping back into the attitude that got them into trouble in the first place, that is focusing too much on high end, high margin devices and neglecting atom. Even if it is a great product, I see Core M more taking market share from Intel's own laptop/ultrabook/convertible sales than making headway against Android/IoS.

I do not really know how you can call a company which makes 3 BN$ (that is more thatn 20% of its annual income!!) benefits per year in trouble while still investing just about the same amount in R&D?
Seriously intel is slowly moving into the mobile sector, and they are doing so for good. If their new broadwell-Y is much more powerfull today than any fanless competitor (including apples's A7, which we do not know yet), then yes this is a serious evolution... Probably they will release less expensive broadwell Ys as well... but we do not know enough about pricing and performance just yet!

zhunt99

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
I know this would be nearly pointless, but I'd love to see some benchmarks vs old overclocked processors, especially performance per watt.

InvalidError

Titan

There isn't much room to put a fan into in a ~8mm thick tablet even if they wanted to put one in and at only 6W, a 1mm-thick metal rear cover should be able to do a decent job.

burkhartmj

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
I couldn't care less about fanless, so comparing to Atom is nearly useless. For those wondering about how it compares to an i5, the i5-4300U [SP3] got 2.82 in cinebench, vs 2.67 for this guy.

InvalidError

Titan

The performance specs on Broadwell-Y are already low enough that it should not need any lower-end parts. What it could really use is a $100 price drop. The $150-300 markup on Intel's mobile CPUs compared to their nearest equivalent desktop counterparts really bugs me..

cirdecus

Distinguished
I couldn't care less about fanless, so comparing to Atom is nearly useless. For those wondering about how it compares to an i5, the i5-4300U [SP3] got 2.82 in cinebench, vs 2.67 for this guy.

Fanless means its going against iPads, Galaxy tabs and phones and iPhones, etc. If you don't care about those devices and are looking for a laptop replacement, SP2/SP3, then you should stop reading this article because you're not getting it here.

cleeve

Illustrious

As the article reads, in context:

" if you want a fanless x86 Windows tablet under 8 mm thick, Haswell-Y isn't a competitor. Bay Trail-based Atom processors were the best you could get before Core M arrived on the scene"

Smallfilou

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014

Actually they already issued a cheaper model (I do not know how much cheaper...), and I do believe there is room for a 14nm Broadwell chip to compete with top-of-their-class chips like apple A7 or Snapdragon 805...

http://ark.intel.com/products/series/83614/Intel-Core-M-5Y-Mobile-Processor-Series

cleeve

Illustrious

Mostly because Mullins doesn't yet have a fanless tablet design win. You can't actually buy it.
As far as I know anyway, and I have looked. I can only find it in an HP 10z laptop, but if you're aware of a fanless tablet/convertible with Mullins, please let me know!

Which is quite sad, really. It has potential but manufacturers won't pick it up. I hear the 10z has poor battery life, but haven't looked closely at it.

cleeve

Illustrious

Intel told us that, no matter what the Core M model is, pricing is the same. They're just targeted for different use cases, but the 5Y70 to 5Y10 don't have a different price per chip

Status
Not open for further replies.