Intel's Broadwell Core M Processor: New Details, SKUs and Specifics

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannibal

Distinguished
These seems to be perfect for Surface mini type tablets! More powerful that cheap Atom tablets, but you can use these in smaller than normal size Surface tablets.
8" Surface pro with one of these would be really nice tablet!

dovah-chan

Honorable
I used to not think anything at all about power efficiency but after getting my laptop last year and flexing its battery, I've realized how much we need this. Really looking forward to seeing how far Intel can push their mobile lineup.

gnarr

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
"I'd like to touch on the elephant in the room: why is Intel pushing Windows tablets when the world doesn't seem to be all that interested in them?"
Because no android tablets or iPads use x86 CPU's...

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
I wonder if there will be room in the cheap laptop market for both 14nm Atom and Broadwell-Y. Atom will probably mostly be about tablets and phones but who knows.

Very interested in the high end laptop Broadwell chips! What clockspeeds will we see, will we see a 6 core laptop chip?

agentbb007

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
My very first PC was a Pentium 3 and it also ran at 0.80GHz, which is basically 800MHz.
Lol there's a lot more to a CPU than the clock speed, hyper-threading, Instruction-set-extensions, newer manufacturing process for more powerful but cooler processors, more advanced architecture, gosh I could go on and on.

Drejeck

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
I just can't wait to see Broadwell for 1150, I can fit a Haswell T 35W TDP processor within 96W (PicoPSU 160XT) and a KFA2 750Ti but since I want the Impact VII motherboard there plenty of time to wait to build my gaming Nintento NES console/pc. I'm really getting excited and in hope to get the x86 part lower on TDP, the Haswell 35W is powerful enough to run a 750Ti at max details 1920x1080.

CyranD

Distinguished
May 6, 2013
I wonder how the SY70 will compare to a i5-4300U. Planning on buying a 2 in 1 around December. The 2 most likely candidates right now is the surface pro 3 with a I5-4300U and 8GB ram or the to be released Helix 2 which I am hopping there will be options for the SY70, 8GB ram and at least a 256GB SDD.

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
Somehow now Nv's K1 64 bit looks even more compelling. Whit that price policy they won't sell any of those. Intel updated SIMD extensions on this new Y chips and then added a DSP. This is getting more & more ridiculous. Somehow Altera had most brains up to date pairing their FPGA's with cortexes A53. That should stand as future model to others. Base good enough core(s) & big enough programmable FPGA (possible usage defined).

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Questions to Toms:

1. Why do they need to reduce clock speeds of 3D rendering units on 2D applications like Word Processing and Web Brosing?

Answer: They don't. It's for lightly loaded 3D applications

2. Why is Intel being a retard and pricing all three different chips for the same ridiculous $281 pricing?

Answer: They don't. Nobody pays $281. Not guys like HP/Dell.

lp231

Splendid

I know there is more to than just clock speed. I had never own a computer before and that just reminds me of my very first self built computer. :)

Bulat Ziganshin

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Video conversion has nothing common with IGP. It works through the dedicated QuickSync hardware. So don't expoect that games or "graphics smoothness" will get those 7x boost

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Estimated price 900-980...LOL. That will have absolutely NO trouble competing with $200-400 versions from ARM's side. ROFL@Intel. Even the base of $550 is laughable in a machine that won't play many games, and certainly isn't a barn burner for windows apps either.

If I want to spend $1000 I'll buy a 17in fully loaded laptop from HP or something, with actual discrete graphics so it runs like a full pc. If I want a cheap device I'll take android (assuming I already own a windows PC) if only for the OTHER side of software that comes with it. I don't see many going for an expensive partially useless device (can't game, won't be doing pro apps and such on this with any speed) vs. a REAL laptop for the same price or a cheap device for poor people (android) or others who just want something cheap and portable from the other side. IE chromebooks or android tablets (for all but super poor) are not meant to replace your PC or full fledged laptop. These don't really fit anywhere at this price. Same problem MS has pitching surface (of any version). PRICE for what you get vs. a loaded device or a cheaper ARM competitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.